Chavez resigns

UW-Madison Dean of Students Alicia Chavez will step down later this year. In her three semesters of service as dean, Chavez dealt with student life issues such as diversity tensions stemming from Sept. 11 and the debate over slavery reparations.

By stepping down from her position, Chavez said she plans to become a full-time educational administration professor.

Chavez is leaving her position after learning that the job was different than she originally envisioned.

“Alicia wasn’t sure if she was cut out to be an administrator,” Vice Chancellor Paul Barrows said. “It’s been an ongoing issue from the beginning. She wasn’t sure if this is what she wanted to do.”

Despite Barrows’ claims, there was speculation as to the terms of Chavez’s resignation. Sources say the change in positions within UW may not have been her choice, but both Chavez and Barrows insist she initiated the resignation.

“I’ve been considering it all along,” Chavez said. “I was willing to come and try [the position], but it didn’t work out. Some people thrive on being public figures. I don’t.”

Chavez will step down after a new dean is appointed by a search-and-screen committee comprised of UW administration and students. The position, which oversees student services, is likely to be filled by summer, said Barrows.

“There was no debate about my decision to leave,” she said. “It was my choice. It wasn’t a matter of other people making the decision for me.”

Chavez said she was personally motivated to resign to devote more time to teach and write in the areas of diversity and cultural studies in higher education. Through her term as dean, Chavez held a secondary title of assistant professor since she came to UW from Miami University in Ohio in 2000.

Some students agree Chavez is more suited for a teaching position. Jessica Miller, Associated Students of Madison chair, said Chavez may have misjudged the responsibilities of the dean position.

“Chavez came in with a different idea of what student life is like at UW,” she said. “Here, student leaders have a lot of autonomy and she wasn’t used to that, which caused a lot of problems.”

Despite Miller’s criticism of Chavez’s work, she said Chavez is “a phenomenal asset to the school of education.”

ASM Diversity Committee Co-chair Jennifer Epps said Chavez will be missed.

“I was sorry to hear that Dean Chavez had decided to resign,” Epps said. “I think she’s a great woman, and I have enjoyed working with her in the past.”

Chavez said as dean she concentrated on issues of diversity at UW. The events of Sept. 11 caused many trials, Chavez said, adding that she was proud of how she dealt with the situations that arose.

“I have a real talent for helping people through a crisis. There’s nothing better than having people walk into your office freaked out and frightened and have them leave feeling they can cope,” Chavez said.

Dealing with sensitive student family crises and tense campus diversity issues often put Chavez in the media forefront, which she cited as one of the aspects of the administrative post she will not miss.

“It’s no fun to get blasted by the media,” Chavez said.

Barrows said Chavez will be greatly missed by co-workers, but that he is glad to see her pursuing her passions.

“It’s where her heart is, and that’s the bottom line,” Barrows said.