Brain drain affects Wisconsin

The UW System is routinely ranked as one of the finest university systems in the nation, and its students are widely regarded as assets to the state. However, evidence shows graduates consistently move out of the state in a trend nicknamed “brain drain,” which could further harm the shaky economy.

This trend can be detrimental because Wisconsin often educates in-state students at reduced tuition rates. Wisconsin’s economy is in the process of attempting to modernize and expand, and it is hurt by skilled workers leaving the area.

A report from the Wisconsin Taxpayer Alliance released in April showed that four out of every 10 graduates from colleges in Wisconsin leave the state every year. With the economy unstable due to the events of the last few months, this problem may only get worse.

UW-Madison sociology professor Joel Rogers said the problem is not so much a matter of brain drain, but more a lack of “brain gain.” He said the state is not doing enough to keep talented college graduates and to go after new ones.

“We need more high-end jobs in Wisconsin to attract these people,” Rogers said. “We need to upgrade jobs in large areas.”

Rogers, who was identified by Newsweek as one of the 100 Americans most likely to affect U.S. politics in the 21st century, blames fiscal mismanagement and irresponsible budget decisions for the economic problems plaguing Wisconsin cities.

Although many are worried about the effect of Sept. 11 on the economy, Rogers said these problems were in existence long before the tragedies in New York and Washington.

Rogers’ claims are supported by an August 2001 study conducted by the Wisconsin Policy Research Institute, which looked at the brain drain trend with regard to UW-Oshkosh. The conclusions of the report indicate a problem. The study showed that those in the graduating class of 1990 who had since left the state earned more money, were more likely to have a law degree or doctorate, “and in general [were] more technically trained than the graduates who remained in the state.”

The results of the study led the researchers to conclude, “The state’s economic problem is … a result of the state failing to attract employers willing to hire those grads in this state.”

When asked about their future career plans, several UW students lent further evidence to these claims.

Marty Englund, a UW sophomore from Minnesota, explained his desire to leave Madison after graduation due to the lack of well-paying jobs in the state.

“I am planning on leaving the state because of the higher financial job opportunities in other places,” Englund said.

UW sophomore and Illinois resident Kyle Roberts agreed with Englund.

“I am going back to Chicago because the financial market opportunities are better in a metropolitan environment,” Roberts said.

These findings do not bode well for a state attempting to attract more technically skilled graduates to help spur a more advanced economy. Rogers said that in order to reverse the trends and attain the goal of retaining more highly trained college-educated individuals, the state government needs to concentrate on improving Wisconsin’s cities and providing a more attractive atmosphere for prospective businesses and workers.
He said the troubled economic developments of the last few months make solving these problems more crucial than ever.
“Bad times are time to begin discussion,” Rogers said.