Some upset about Lakelawn apartment construction

Lakelawn residents and other UW-Madison students will soon have a new option for housing in the neighborhood.

Although the original Lakelawn housing project was altered to fit students’ wishes and the overall neighborhood, some students are still concerned.

After much debate and redesign, the City Council unanimously approved the project to build a student apartment building at the corner of East Lake Lawn Place and Lake Lawn Place at an Oct. 2 meeting.

In a 20-0 vote, the 19-apartment, 48-bedroom, 3.5-story apartment building was approved.

Developer Joe McCormick, who owns many other student apartment buildings, had his original development plan altered for approval.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, and members of the Langdon Neighborhood Historical District reached a compromise with McCormick to decrease the building size from five stories to three-and-a-half stories. As a result, the number of apartments was also significantly decreased.

“The neighborhood felt strongly that the project should not overshadow other buildings in the neighborhood,” Verveer said. “We worked together as a committee and with the developer to come up with a compromise.”

Students currently living in the neighborhood said they think the new building will make more students aware of the somewhat hidden neighborhood, but are concerned with overcrowding and construction noise.

“It kind of takes away from the nice college housing idea,” UW senior Adam Dahl said. “I hope the construction’s not too loud.”

Four bungalows will be demolished to make room for the new building, another move that upsets some students.

“I didn’t think those houses were too bad,” Dahl said. “I’m sure they’ve been a part of the neighborhood for a long time. It’s too bad they have to be destroyed.”

Sarah Zimonick, a resident of West Lake Lawn and a UW junior, said she is annoyed by the construction.

“Last year I lived through the noises of construction, and to put up with it again this spring is not going to be fun,” Zimonick said.

Construction is expected to begin in early November and should be completed by move-in day, Aug. 15, 2002.