Domestic security increased

This week, Attorney General Jim Doyle held a Domestic Security Summit to discuss improving law enforcement agencies’ coordination efforts during terrorist threats.

While Wisconsin has not yet experienced a terrorist incident, the meeting was simply another attempt to enhance the state’s precautionary security measures.

“We are all in uncharted territory because of the threats of terrorism in our homes, at work and in our communities,” Doyle said. “We must pull together, not allow ourselves to be pulled apart.”

Seven special agents from the Division of Criminal Investigation were assigned to a new Domestic Security Unit at the Wisconsin Department of Justice. Their role will be to aid in communications and resource sharing between the various state and federal agencies.

During recent anthrax scares in Wisconsin, unit members were instrumental in coordinating law enforcement agency responses to the threats.

In addition to Wisconsin state and local officers, members from the FBI and U.S. Attorney’s Office also attended the meeting. Over 65 officials participated in the meeting.

Randy Romanski, a spokesperson for Jim Doyle, said the cooperation created through the summit would make battling terrorism more efficient.

“One of the key components to responding to a terrorist threat is to make sure all agencies communicate,” Romanski said.

Doyle also announced the Justice Department will post intelligence information on a government-secure website for local law officials’ use. The site, called the Intelligence Center, will provide updated information about bomb and bio-terrorist threats. It will also contain information about anthrax.

Romanski said the summit has been helpful in revealing what the government needs to combat terrorism.

“The summit was very successful in making sure lines of communication are open, and in emphasizing the need for additional resources,” Romanski said.

Doyle said he would allocate Justice Department resources to training programs, primarily for local law enforcement officials. These programs will train officials to be better prepared in dealing with terrorist threats.

Romanski said the state would continue to respond quickly to all potential terrorist incidents because of the high probability of a security threat. He said state officials have proven during the recent anthrax scares that Wisconsin is prepared to handle an incident if one arises.

“We are fortunate to have such highly trained law enforcement agents,” Romanski said.

He also said the federal government was involved in making sure the lines of communication were open during the anthrax scares.

UW Police Lieutenant Brian Bridges said university officials attending the summit offered all information they could from the university in combating terrorism.

“The UW Police were very helpful,” Bridges said. “[UW-Madison] has some of the first stuff out on anthrax.”

Bridges said the summit was good not only in emphasizing cooperation between state, local and federal agencies, but also in coordinating individual local agencies in responding to a terrorist attack.

“Another way they have helped is to tie together police departments and fire departments, which typically do things in their own discipline,” he said.

Bridges said they do not know if university police forces will participate in the terrorist training programs. He said officials focused on mainly general anti-terrorist issues and did not go into specifics.