If Anybody Else Had Said This…

Representative Steve Nass and his associates may have raised the bar to a new level of hypocrisy. Decrying undue influence by Governor Jim Doyle on the chancellor selection process, Nass hatchet man Mike Mikalsen attacked the committee’s decision as being “Jim Doyle’s appointment.” The accusation isn’t a terrible one. The governor appointed the five regents that sat on the search committee, and a spokesman acknowledged that Doyle passed on recommendations to the committee after the search had been narrowed down to four candidates. It’s actually hard to see how Doyle wouldn’t have a degree of influence. Appointing the committee members and then telling them how you would like them to vote is a practical guarantee that you will leave your mark on the process. The hypocrisy factor comes from the fact that the criticisms are coming from Nass’ office. This is the very same Nass who, as chair of the University and Colleges Committee, regularly slams the university for even thinking of offering its faculty domestic partnership benefits. The same Nass who circulated a National Review column characterizing Martin as incapable of leading due to her liberal arts background. Huh. According to Nass, the job of state legislators is not only to opine on any aspect of university governance that irks them, but to attack any other officials who do the same – even if those other officials may, from time to time, make recommendations of some limited value. If Nass would cease making unnecessary attacks on every aspect of the university’s governance, maybe his criticism of Doyle would have more validity. Maybe.