Chancellor search committee selected

As University of Wisconsin’s Interim Chancellor David Ward readies to end his two year term, UW system President Kevin Reilly announced the 25-member committee yesterday that will be responsible for the search and screen of the university’s next chancellor.

According to the UW System statement, Reilly appointed 13 UW-Madison faculty members as part of the 25, all of which will be chaired by UW History Professor David McDonald.

The appointees were all chosen by Reilly out of a pool of nominees set forward by the specific groups they represent, UW System spokesperson David Giroux said.

Four community representatives and one UW system representative will also join the group, the statement said.

According to Giroux, the committee, which includes faculty from a variety of schools and studies on campus, was chosen to bring together a diverse representation from all aspects of campus.

“President Reilly wanted to make sure there would be a diverse representation from the entire campus,” Giroux said. “If you look at the schools and faculty represented, they are from a diverse range.”

Giroux also emphasized the committee will not only be responsible for the screening of chancellor applicants, but also will be “actively seeking” the most competent candidates for the position.

Two students are also represented in the group as appointed by Associated Students of Madison, Shared Governance Committee Chair Sam Seering said.

According to Seering, ASM will not have any further official duties in the selection of a new chancellor. However, Seering said he would like to see the committee look for a chancellor to set UW on a path to maintain its status as an elite public university.

The committee will convene for the first time on Oct. 3, at which point Reilly will charge the committee with their specific responsibilities, Giroux said, adding that the position’s vacancy will also be announced.

According to the statement, the committee is expected to recommend five finalists to Reilly for final consideration with the Board of Regents.