College Republicans to host conservative pundit at event

Esteemed conservative pundit and author, frequently featured in the New York Daily News and Sean Hannity’s “Great Great Great American Panel”, S.E. Cupp will be speaking to students from across the political spectrum on campus today. Cupp will bring a common sense conservative voice to campus; a political view that is seemingly nonexistent on our progressive campus.

Cupp will be speaking to political activism on campus. No, she won’t be addressing political activism that encourages campus-wide class walkouts, in-your-face protests or pow-wows inside the State Capitol for three weeks. She will be speaking about political activism that takes courage, especially on college campuses, and that is promoting the widely underrepresented viewpoint of outnumbered conservative students.

She’s as fiery and passionate as Glenn Beck, but not a lightning rod of controversy like Ann Coulter. In a recent article titled “Are Liberal College Students Rebels Without a Cause,” Cupp writes “Rebellious would be a conversation in a coffee shop about the value of limited government and the oppressiveness of socialism.” Cupp understands the political mindset that is found on most college campuses, and will spark interest in conservatives to actively promote their view in Madison.

I, along with many other like-minded students, am excited we will be having a nationally recognized, high-profile speaker discuss issues that matter to us, and issues that often get ignored on campus. College Republicans Chairman Stephen Duerst released this statement about Cupp’s visit on Friday: “We are excited to host S.E Cupp and look forward to hearing her insight on conservatism on college campuses. Given our strongly liberal-leaning campus and the outrageous response to Governor Walker’s attempt to create jobs and balance the budget, it will be refreshing to hear a rational, common-sense conservative viewpoint.”

Ms. Cupp will be speaking at 5 p.m. this evening in Grainger 5120 Capitol Conference Room. This event was organized by the UW College Republicans along with the Clare Boothe Luce Policy Institute. I, along with the College Republicans, hope to see you there.
Adam Reiersgaard ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in atmospheric science and the field director of UW-Madison’s College Republicans