Traffic cameras needed, fast

As part of his two-year budget plan, Gov. Jim Doyle has proposed re-introducing photo traffic enforcement to Wisconsin. The change would be aimed at drivers that run red lights and speed through work zones and would allow local agencies to install cameras and ticket violators through the mail. The use of photo enforcement was outlawed in 1995, with lawmakers stating the practice was a breach of privacy.

I had mixed feelings about this proposal. Ticketing speeders when there is no officer present almost feels unethical. Although I suppose it’s “fair,” as you are indeed breaking the law when you speed, the only person who should be able to reprimand you should be an officer of the law, not a piece of equipment. It’s sort of like that old saying, if a tree falls in the forest…

Doyle’s proposal, however, only singles out two specific violations — running a red light and speeding in a work zone. Although I can only vouch for myself, I’m sure many others have done both of these, particularly speeding through work zones.

It’s never malicious — we always have a reason for it, right? We’re running late for work, really have to use the bathroom (hey, it happens), or just need to get somewhere quickly. Every time I make the trip south on 39/90, the 12 or so miles of 45 mph construction zone just after Beloit are filled with drivers pushing 50, 60 or even 70 mph.

The reality is, even though speeding through work zones is something many of us do, it’s not one of those excusable “everyone else does it” slipups. According to the Federal Highway Administration, the annual number of people killed in motor vehicle crashes in work zones over the last decade has increased 45 percent, up to 1,010 in 2006.

On average, from 2002-06, about 15 percent of the fatalities resulting from crashes in work zones were pedestrians, meaning mostly workers. The FHA says the United States is averaging one work zone fatality every 8.7 hours — almost three a day — and one work zone injury every nine minutes, or 160 a day.

These statistics are inexcusable, and can be drastically reduced or even prevented with a stricter enforcement of work zone speed limits. Highway workers are already putting their lives in danger so we can have a less-congested commute. They should not be further exposed to risk by drivers with a brazen disregard for the law.

Doyle’s proposal also includes photo enforcement of drivers that run red lights. The jury is still out on this one, as the issue is a little more complicated. It could pose problems, such as discrepancies over yellow vs. red, or possible mistakes made by cameras firing too quickly. While 800 people die and an estimated 200,000 or more are injured due to running red lights each year, according to SmartMotorist.com, studies by the University of South Florida claim that red light cameras actually increase injuries and death.

The Insurance Institute of Highway Safety, the insurance industry-funded leading advocate for these cameras, claims they can reduce crashes by up to 40 percent. Those opposing the cameras insist, however, such cameras are only revenue-generators and some communities are even shortening yellow lights to increase revenue. Shorter yellow lights, as well as more motorists abruptly stopping to avoid tickets, opponents claim, cause more injuries and deaths than they prevent.

While I imagine very few would argue motorists should have the right to run red lights free of penalty, the possibility of red light cameras should be researched further if there is evidence that they could cause more harm than good. The aforementioned breach of privacy issue, however, is an unreasonable and inane point against photo enforcement. If a motorist doesn’t want someone to see what they’re doing in their car, then maybe it doesn’t belong in the car in the first place.

It goes without saying that no one likes getting a ticket, but it’s time we take a stricter approach to the blatant disregard of two very important traffic laws. This could be especially useful on the UW campus, where students are constantly in danger of drivers running red lights.

Doyle’s proposal is a good one, and although it might require more research on safety, it has the potential to both promote safer roads for motorists and pedestrians, as well as generate some much-needed revenue for the state.

Laura Brennan ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in communicative disorders.