Football: Derrick Tindal undergoes minor hand surgery, not expected to miss playing time

Junior cornerback’s elevated play has been vital in all three of Wisconsin’s top 10 matchups this season
Katie Cooney

University of Wisconsin football starting cornerback Derrick Tindal will undergo minor surgery on his right hand this week according to UW officials, as reported by the Wisconsin State Journal.

Though the good news for Badger fans is that the junior is not expected to be sidelined for UW’s next game against No. 2 Ohio State University on Oct. 15.

Tindal has been a force in the Badgers secondary this season, as well as a major contributor to Wisconsin’s immense success on defensive side of the ball.

The junior cornerback is on pace to have a career season in 2016. Despite coming into this year without a single interception on his Wisconsin résumé, Tindal has already recorded three picks through only five games this season. Two of which came as key contributions in both of Wisconsin’s victories over top 10 opponents then-No. 5 Louisiana State University and then-No. 8 Michigan State University.

In last weekend’s 14-7 loss to No. 4 University of Michigan, Tindal’s most recent interception was one of the key factors for setting up Wisconsin’s only touchdown.

Football: Wolverines edge Badgers in defensive battle 14-7 in Ann Arbor

Tindal capitalized on a mistake by Wolverines quarterback Wilton Speight halfway through the third quarter when he intercepted the ball and returned it 46 yards to switch the field for the Badgers.

Only five plays later, redshirt freshman quarterback Alex Hornibrook connected with running back Dare Ogunbowale on a 17-yard touchdown pass to put Wisconsin on the board and even things up with the Wolverines 7-7.

In his three seasons of action for the Badgers, Tindal has seen minutes in 29 games overall and recorded 57 total tackles.

Unfortunately for the Badgers, Tindal’s injury is only the most recent one on a what has become a laundry list of health issues. In last week alone, UW learned star senior outside linebacker Vince Biegel would be out for 2-4 weeks due to foot surgery and starting kicker Rafael Gaglianone would have to be shutdown for the rest of the season with a back injury.

Football: Biegel to miss 2-4 weeks after surgery to repair fractured bone in foot

With the daunting number of injuries the Badgers have already suffered, Wisconsin can’t afford to lose any more production from veteran talent like Tindal. Especially, if the Badgers are going to have any chance at upsetting the second-ranked team in the nation at Camp Randall Stadium when the Buckeyes come to town in two weeks.