Draft day: Badger football players who have a shot at playing at the next level

All-American Joe Schobert is Wisconsin’s top-ranked prospect

As the NFL offseason continues, the next stop for professional teams is this weekend’s NFL draft.

While this year’s pool is light on talent bred in Wisconsin — there are no projected first round picks like running back Melvin Gordon last year — the team still has some intriguing prospects that will be waiting patiently to hear their name called this weekend.

Here is a quick look at the Badgers expected to have a shot at the next level:

Linebacker Joe Schobert

Jason Chan/The Badger Herald

The All-American linebacker is Wisconsin’s top-ranked prospect and expected to be the first Badger to be selected in this year’s draft. While scouts have been skeptical regarding Schobert’s size and athleticism at the pro level, there is no doubt the linebacker has a nose for whoever has the football, as shown by his team-leading 9.5 sacks and 79 tackles last season.

NFL.com draft projection: Rounds 3 or 4

Quarterback Joel Stave

Marissa Haegele/The Badger Herald

It was Stave’s impressive, and albeit surprising day at the NFL combine that put him on some draft boards, as he displayed solid speed and great athleticism with the third-highest vertical jump among quarterbacks. His size and throwing motion make him an appealing prospect, especially with his experience in a pro-style offense. Stave’s accuracy and poor decision-making, however, remain a major reason why the scouts remain skeptical.

NFL.com draft projection: Round 7 or priority free agent

Offensive lineman Tyler Marz

The long history of Wisconsin offensive linemen continues with Marz, though the three-year starter at Wisconsin is not looked at as highly as Badgers in previous drafts. He does, however, still have the body of a typical UW offensive tackle and has the experience in the Badgers’ pro-style offensive to get a look from teams. As of now, the biggest knock on Marz is his positioning, with NFL scouts saying he plays too upright on his pass blocks.

NFL.com draft projection: Undrafted free agent

Wide receiver Alex Erickson

Jason Chan/The Badger Herald

As of late, Wisconsin receivers have shown little success in producing at the next level, and the best thing Erickson has working for him in breaking that trend is his speed. With the body of a prototypical slot receiver in today’s professional game, Erickson has shown a willingness and fearlessness to do work in the middle of the field, where someone his size would be most effective. The receiver’s ability to be a deep threat, however, is what is keeping him off some draft boards.

Among other Badgers hopeful to get their name called on draft day, but who will almost certainly end up being priority free agents are fullback Derek Watt, cornerbacks Darius Hillary and Michael Caputo, as well as safety/wide receiver Tanner McEvoy.

The 2016 NFL Draft will begin with Round 1 Thursday night, with Rounds 2 and 3 broadcasted Friday and the final Rounds 4 through 7 concluding Saturday.