Gordon wins B1G Running Back of the Year, four selected to Big Ten First-Team

Joey Reuteman

Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon earned his first award of the season Monday night — and it’s not expected to be his last.

The Big Ten announced their All-Conference Teams and select individual awards Monday, which included the Ameche-Dayne Big Ten Running Back of the Year award that went to Gordon.

Gordon, who is considered one of two players along with Oregon’s Marcus Mariota to be in contention for the Heisman trophy, has already set the Big Ten record for rushing yards in a season with 2,318. He’s also scored 26 touchdowns this season while averaging eight yards per carry and 188.3 yards per game. It is the third time in the last four seasons that a Wisconsin running back has won the award, as Montee Ball won the award in both 2011 and 2012.

In addition to the Heisman trophy, Gordon is a finalist for the Maxwell Award — awarded to the nation’s top collegiate football player — and the Doak Walker Award, which is given to the nation’s top running back. Gordon was also named First-Team All-Big Ten by both the coaches and media.

Joining Gordon with First-Team All-Big Ten honors is senior inside linebacker Derek Landisch, who was named to the first-team by the coaches. Landisch has excelled in his first season as a starter for UW with 70 tackles, 14.5 for loss and a team-high eight sacks. Landisch was voted Second-Team All-Big Ten by the media.

Wisconsin offensive linemen Kyle Costigan and Rob Havenstein were unanimous First-Team All-Big Ten selections in addition to Gordon and Landisch.

Earning Second-Team All-Big Ten selections for the Badgers was defensive back Michael Caputo (coaches and media), defensive back Darius Hillary (coaches), offensive lineman Dan Voltz (media) and linebacker Vince Biegel (media).