Cornerbacks handling preseason concerns

Freshman Sojourn Shelton will play his first road game as a Badger Saturday in Tempe, Ariz.
Freshman Sojourn Shelton will play his first road game as a Badger Saturday in Tempe, Ariz. photo: Andy Fate

If there was any certainty surrounding the Wisconsin football team entering the 2013 season, it was centered on the defense. Returning starters could be found all over that side of the ball.

The linebacking crew had redshirt senior Chris Borland headlining its returnees, who head coach Gary Andersen has boastfully tabbed multiple times as the best linebacker in the country. The defensive line was anchored by long-haired jolly giant senior Beau Allen, who — other than reminding Badgers ticket holders about bees in their soft drinks — has played in every game in his career.

On the back end was safety redshirt senior Dezmen Southward, a well-spoken agricultural business major and one of the best interviewees on the team, the perfect leader for fellow safety, the inexperienced sophomore Michael Caputo. All that was left came at cornerback, where, when compared to the other positions, the cupboard appeared rather bare following the graduations of Devin Smith and Marcus Cromartie.

Turnover is one thing, but the uncertainty rose when the returning group tallied a combined one start in their careers, thanks to a one-time start for redshirt sophomore Darius Hillary in 2012. Then it was announced the defensive backfield would display a true freshman starter, the first at any position for the Badgers since center Travis Frederick in 2009. Any questions and concerns were likely warranted.

After two games, however, any remaining qualms have been rendered meaningless. They may have started the season inexperienced, but in keeping the scoreboard blank in 2013, those cornerbacks have looked like veterans.

“I don’t think it was difficult for us [to transition in]. The coaches preach ‘next man in,’” Hillary said, as the entire department has progressed to do so. “The more film study you watch and the more you practice out here, the more you know … The coaches have helped us with everything moving forward.”

That coach is Ben Strickland, a former Wisconsin defensive back himself and also a bit of a newbie in his first year as a full-time assistant. As opposed to having at least one returning starter like he has seen in the past, this year’s group would trot many fresh faces onto the field.

As it seemed to Hillary, the coaching staff was likely instrumental in assembling the right mix of corners to stand behind Wisconsin’s talented front-seven. Strickland disagrees, though. He figured having so many fresh faces with no surefire starters made his job a bit easier.

“It’s been good creating competition,” Strickland said. “It obviously brings the best out in guys and those young guys have definitely done that. The older guys have set the bar and they continue to push each other.”

The older guys he’s referring to would be Hillary and redshirt junior Peniel Jean, the Wisconsin corner with the most experience but no starts. Strickland nominates Jean as the leader of the corners. Hillary insists he’s a leader as well. Both of them might share the role and, in addition to shutting down opposing passing attacks, have played witness to the rise of that aforementioned true freshman, Sojourn Shelton.

Arriving early in Madison last spring, Shelton caught some eyes with his play in UW’s spring game. His inexperience still overshadowed his promise until Aug. 31. The Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. native answered any questions about his place on the field as his third quarter interception kept the driving UMass offense from scoring, a play senior safety Dezmen Southward called “big time.”

Shelton considered the interception a statement play, something he tries to do every Saturday, especially as the Wisconsin schedule turns toward stiffer competition this week.

“Every game is a statement,” said Shelton. “It’s time to get rolling … I’ve got to just play my role and if I do come up with another pick, all I can do is say thank you to the d-line and those guys.”

If he were to come up with another pick, he’ll have all his teammates excited, but he might have a couple of them a tad jealous.

“Us corners, we have a tally [of interceptions],” Shelton said. “We’re all fighting for them … we all want to see each other succeed … I know PJ has been saying he wants one.”

Alas, there are only so many interceptions to go around.

As a group, they’ve yet to allow a pass play longer than 20 yards. Although the competition may not have opened many holes in the secondary, all of them have been shut. Already boasting one interception, a forced fumble and two shutouts, they’ve filled the graduation holes pretty well, too.