Big Ten Media Days Notebook

Members of the media filled the ballroom at the Hilton Chicago for Big Ten Media Days to pick the brains of the conference’s premiere players, coaches and commissioner. Each head coach addressed the burning topics for their respective team while some topics transcended the individual teams and concerned the entire conference.

Here are the highlights in this Big Ten Media Days notebook:

Coaches still leery of new targeting rule

The NCAA affected defenses everywhere when it passed a rule that leads to automatic ejection and a 15-yard penalty if a defensive player leads a tackle with his helmet or makes contact with the offensive players head or neck area.

A majority of the coaches addressed the new rule in Wednesday’s press conference session. All were in agreement that the safety of the players is the most important thing, but some were still a little speculative as to how the foul will be determined and called.

“I like the fact that that’s a play that’s coming into our game to make sure we have the number one most important thing handled, and that’s the health, safety, well-being of the student-athletes as they play the game of football,” Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald said. “But there will be some hits that I’m looking forward to learning from and seeing exactly how that’s going to be officiated. But there’s no question the health, safety, well-being of the student-athletes is the number one priority.”

It was determined if this new “targeting” rule had been in place last season Jadeveon Clowney’s hit on Michigan’s Vincent Smith in the Outback bowl that rocked the college football world would have been illegal and led to an ejection.

Nebraska’s Bo Pelini was the most skeptical about the subjectivity involved in the referee’s decision to call the new foul.

“The scary thing to me is just what you said: It’s the application part of it. And it’s going to be pretty subjective. And I don’t think it’s an easy thing to call. And in my opinion it’s going a little bit overboard right now. And some things I’ve seen on TV and different examples that they’ve shown, you know, like even as a coach watching it on TV, I haven’t quite agreed with some of the things they’ve talked about,” Pelini said. “But I understand where it’s coming from. It’s about the safety of the players, and we’re all for that. We just have to make sure that we’re not messing with the integrity of the game or the sport and how it’s supposed to be played.”

Meyer proud of Andersen

Ever since Gary Andersen was selected to succeed Brett Beilema as Wisconsin’s next head coach, connections were being made with former employer and fellow Big Ten coach Urban Meyer.

In 2004, Meyer – then the head coach of the University of Utah – hired Andersen as a defensive assistant on the Utes’ staff. Meyer would leave at the conclusion of the ’04 season while Andersen would stay in Salt Lake City until 2008.

When asked about hiring and working with the current Wisconsin coach, Meyer gave rave reviews.

“Gary I would put in one of the top two, three hires I’ve ever made…He made a direct impact on our program, and I couldn’t be more proud of who he is as a person,” Meyer said. “And I think he’s at the right place, a great school with a great athletic director, and really proud of Gary Andersen.”

Andersen looking for third rusher

For the past few seasons, Wisconsin has had the luxury of having three viable options at the running back position – whether it be the trio of John Clay, James White and Montee Ball or Ball, White and Melvin Gordon. This season the Badger backfield is lacking a third option at tailback.

Redshirt junior Jeff Lewis had been receiving the most touches at tail back – other than White and Gordon – during spring practice but has since moved to safety.

“We need a third one,” head coach Gary Andersen said. “Right now if we did it, if we turned around: ‘who would it be? How would we go about it?’ That’s a good question but we need to have a No. 3. I don’t want it to be (Derek) Watt. I want the fullbacks and tight ends to be at their spot and play their spot, focused and not worried about being a third tailback.”

Redshirt freshman running back Vonte Jackson had been pegged to get his opportunities running the ball in practice but after another knee related injury, it is uncertain whether he will make his way back to the field.

Andersen now has his eye on incoming freshman Corey Clement to pick up the slack and fill the third spot on the depth chart.

“Corey’s going to get a shot when he comes in,” Andersen said. “Corey had a very good high school career – highly recruited – and has been there all summer so we’ll see where he is.”

High hopes for Lewis as ball hawk

Reggie Mitchell’s departure from Wisconsin to join former Wisconsin defensive coordinator Paul Chryst at Pitt has left a gaping hole in the Badgers’ secondary. Mitchell was projected to be UW’s starting safety this fall and has now left Gary Andersen with very few options.

Andersen is rolling the dice on Jeff Lewis, hoping his athletic ability will translate to the safety position. All though Lewis didn’t make the move to defense until the summer, the switch was not a new idea for the former running back and coaches. Andersen says he approached Lewis about moving to safety before spring practice but Lewis wanted to get another shot in the offensive backfield.

Now Lewis will be charged with making a quick transition with just over a month until Wisconsin’s first game. Andersen has realistic expectations or Lewis but believes his athleticism will shrink the learning curve.

“I absolutely would not have done it if I didn’t believe he could. He has the athletic ability, I know that,” Andersen said. “I believe his mindset it good, his want to is good. So, he will get that opportunity day one to show us where he is. He’s not going to come out there and be an all-league safety day one, that’s not what I’m saying, but as we get into the fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, tenth practice I would love it if he could move himself to the forefront. Because if he did, then we will be a better defense.”

Kill excited for end of year Border Battle

Starting in 2014, Minnesota’s and Wisconsin’s regular seasons will be ending with the battle for Paul Bunyan’s ax for the following three years.

In a rivalry that already bears great importance for both universities involved, Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill is excited for the possibility of the added importance of the game with post-season hopes hanging in the balance.

“I think the great thing about our rivalry with Wisconsin is its history. And that’s what football’s all about,” Kill said. “And certainly at the end of the year, it’s a tremendous game for both schools and it’s an exciting time.”