JUCO QB latest Wisconsin commit

Another offseason comes and yet again, so does another transfer quarterback for Wisconsin football. This time, it’s a junior college transfer.

Tanner McEvoy, regarded as the top dual-threat quarterback in junior college football, is transferring to Wisconsin, as reported by Evan Flood of 247sports Monday afternoon. McEvoy visited Wisconsin on Jan. 29 and was reportedly interested in Oregon, Florida and West Virginia.

The 6-foot-6 quarterback from Hillsdale, N.J. just recently spent his first season of eligibility at Arizona Western Community College, where he played in eight games and threw 24 touchdowns. The four-star thrower is deemed a dual-threat quarterback due to his ability to not only pass efficiently, but run as well. McEvoy also ran for 250 yards and 3 touchdowns on the season.

Originally a South Carolina Gamecock, McEvoy decided to transfer at the beginning of his redshirt freshman season following a late June arrest in North Carolina for driving after consuming alcohol while under the legal drinking age. Following the arrest, he was temporarily suspended from team activities before being reinstated before the season.

McEvoy is the lone quarterback from new head coach Gary Andersen’s 2013 recruiting class and will have three years of eligibility. He will join a long list of quarterbacks competing for play in 2013, which includes three former starters in Joel Stave, Curt Phillips and Danny O’Brien. Redshirt Freshman and former four-star recruit himself Bart Houston will also be in the mix after returning from shoulder surgery as well as redshirt senior Jon Budmayr.