Bielema plans Senior Day, season finale against Penn State

fbpresser_MM
Senior safety and co-captain Aaron Henry is one Badger who will play his last game at Camp Randall Stadium Saturday.[/media-credit]

Down by two scores in a game they absolutely had to have Saturday afternoon, the University of Wisconsin Badgers turned to running back Montee Ball, arguably their most consistent player throughout the season.

At Illinois, Wisconsin trailed 14-0 in the second quarter before a 1-yard Ball rush up the middle brought the Badgers to within seven points. With 21 unanswered points in the second half, Wisconsin overcame a 17-7 halftime deficit en route to a 28-17 win over Illinois.

After rushing 12 times in the first half, Ball received 24 carries in the second half. For the game, the junior running back rushed 38 times for 224 yards and two touchdowns. He also caught two passes, including a five-yard touchdown grab in the third quarter.

Ball’s effort was critical, as Wisconsin’s defense initially seemed incapable of stopping an Illinois attack spearheaded by two alternating quarterbacks, normal sophomore starter Nathan Scheelhaase and freshman Reilly O’Toole. At halftime, the duo combined for a completion 17 of 19 passes for 113 yards. The Badgers, needing the win in order to maintain hopes of a berth in the inaugural Big Ten Championship Game, turned around their defensive effort in the second half, forcing four turnovers and stifling any momentum the Illini offense might have mustered.

“In the first half, there were three things that we basically weren’t doing,” head coach Bret Bielema said in his weekly Monday press conference. “We weren’t setting the edge of our defense; they got around the edge in a variety of different formations … we weren’t tackling very well, which was creating some yards after contact that were big in the first half and then just penalties.”

Penn State bringing distraction-laden team to Madison

Since the university was embroiled in the child molestation scandal that developed after allegations against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, Penn State has split its last two games. After an inspired effort at home in Happy Valley fell short against Nebraska, the Nittany Lions recovered on the road against the Ohio State Buckeyes Saturday with a 20-14 victory.

Prior to the Nov. 12 Nebraska game, the two teams met at midfield for a prayer intended to portray a sense of unity in the wake of the scandal. Though a similar meeting took place in Ohio Stadium the next week, Bielema said he was unsure of what would happen Saturday prior to kickoff at Camp Randall Stadium. He did say UW’s administration is meeting on the issue and was planning on including talks with PSU officials in their decision. Saturday’s winner will clinch the Big Ten Leaders Division title and face Michigan State in Indianapolis Dec. 3 for the conference’s championship game.

“Obviously from our standpoint, you’ve got to be oblivious to not understand what’s going on there,” Bielema said. “You feel for everybody involved. I just want to make sure that we do the right thing but also understand this is a very big stage and an opportunity to know that a lot of things will be looked at.”

Bielema hoping for special send-off for seniors

As the last home game of the season, Saturday’s contest will also serve as the Badgers’ Senior Day. UW’s starting lineup, including special teams, features 16 seniors – six on offense, five on defense and five on special teams – that will be playing their last game in Camp Randall Stadium. Bielema announced Monday that the Badgers’ guest captain for the game will be Al Toon, a former UW wide receiver and father of current senior wide receiver Nick Toon.

But despite any possible distractions anticipated in the pre-game ceremony, Bielema said no other changes have been planned.

“When I first came here, I saw this senior day transpire in front of me for two straight years and honest to goodness, that entire summer and leading up to senior day, I almost flipped,” Bielema said.

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. You’ll have an emotional coach. One of the things I flipped on three years before, I shake their hands before – I kind of just stood on the sidelines. These kids, I’ve been in their homes, we’ve been through good and bad. It’s a tough day. It’s a day you don’t want to let go.”

Bielema did wax poetic about one senior in particular, however, when he was asked about safety Aaron Henry. As one of UW’s most vocal players, Henry was voted a co-captain by his teammates in training camp, and after Bielema switched him from cornerback to safety two years ago, their relationship endured a brief rocky period. Since then, Henry has turned into one of the Big Ten’s top safeties, though, and their connection has blossomed.

“Aaron and I, you can ask him, we’ve had our disagreements,” Bielema said. “I’m honest and open with him, and on the same account, there’s not a kid that means more to me in the program than him. He’s special.”