Skeptics hushed in Wilson’s Badger debut

The Wisconsin football team could not have asked for a better season opener.

Not only did it play under the lights on national television, it showcased its talent in almost every way possible, thrashing the Nevada-Las Vegas Rebels, 51-17.

Only to add to all the perks, quarterback Russell Wilson single-handedly silenced any skeptics, going 10-for-13 with 255 yards and two touchdowns, while also rushing twice for a total of 62 yards. To put his stats in perspective, running backs Montee Ball and James White each ran for 63 and 64 yards with 10 and 11 carries, respectively.

“Hats off to our offense, they did a tremendous job,” safety Aaron Henry said. “I mean, two words: Russell Wilson. The guy put on a show.”

Ever since his June 27 commitment to Wisconsin, the season opener remained a widely anticipated opportunity to see if Wilson really is as great as everyone expected.

With the performance he gave, there probably aren’t too many doubters left.

“I’ve been in this profession now awhile and you can see guys that have a little bit of something to them, some moxie, some savvy, some god-given ability that he loves every minute of the day,” Bielema said in a post game interview. “Russell has been a guy who’s been very impressive in how he handles everything. You’ve head me say it many times, but I think as people see that, for instance when NFL scouts come in, when visitors are at practiced, they’re just amazed at the way he works. Today, you saw why.”

While Wilson was a three-year starter at N.C. State, there is arguably no greater game day atmosphere than Camp Randall. With that electricity and all the expectations surrounding him, Wilson had every right to be nervous.

“To be honest with you, not at all,” Wilson said. “I’m truly blessed to be here, I believe in the Lord to lead me in the right direction and I think he did, make sure I’m doing the right thing at the right time. When you prepare, I don’t think you get nervous at all, I think you play with confidence.”

With a confidence that was evident from his first snap under center, Wilson led Wisconsin down the field and eventually helped the offense score in each of the seven drives he competed in.

In the run-oriented offense that UW is renowned for, Wilson threw a four-yard touchdown pass to Ball in the first quarter to put the Badgers up 7-0. Through both his passing and ability in the running game, Wilson has already become a vital asset in the backfield for the running backs.

“It’s a great addition to have him there in the backfield,” White said. “He’s a great quarterback, he can run fast, he can do it all. He really helps with us running backs because he opens more holes for us. He can hold defenders because they’ll be checking to see if he’s running. It really helps me and Montee a lot.”

While Wilson efficiently controlled things within the pocket, everyone still got the chance to see his mobility and put to rest any remaining questions they may have had.

Running the ball only twice, Wilson got the offense downfield, scoring once and almost a second time.

In the second quarter with 1:37 left, Wilson, with what could only be described as hours in the pocket, kept the ball himself and took it 46-yards for a touchdown. He later had a similar situation in the thrid, but only ran for a 16-yard first down, which led to an eventual eight-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jacob Pedersen.

“[He’s] a quarterback who’s gifted enough to be a drop-back passer, but yet when the answers aren’t there on the field, can take off and hurt you in the running game, which is exactly what happened tonight,” Bielema said. “That’s a great balance for us, it’s very difficult to defend.”

It’s difficult to take away many negatives from a 51-17 win, which has already set the season on the right track. Wilson simply feels blessed to be a part of it.

“It was definitely a positive game for our football team,” Wilson said. “Getting out there the first time – I’m truly blessed to be here, truly blessed to be a Badger. It was an exciting game.”