Sherer disappointed in 1st career start

IOWA CITY — Saturday it was his turn to give it a shot. Unfortunately, he didn’t fare much better.

After senior Allan Evridge failed to consistently run the Wisconsin offense during the Badgers’ 0-3 conference start, head coach Bret Bielema handed over the reins to junior quarterback Dustin Sherer.

In his first career start, Sherer finished the game 17-for-34 for 161 yards and two interceptions, as Wisconsin fell to Iowa 38-16 at Kinnick Stadium.

“[It’s] very [disappointing],” Sherer said. “I’ve been waiting for this for a while and to come out here and not do well, it’s not fun.

“I didn’t throw the ball well all day. I’ve just got to fix it.”

Much like his predecessor, Evridge, Sherer failed to put the ball in the end zone, as the Badgers settled for Philip Welch field goals on three different occasions.

“They say kicking field goals will beat you, and today it did,” Sherer said.

The Badgers’ only touchdown came late in the fourth quarter on a Zach Brown 21-yard touchdown run after Sherer had been replaced by sophomore Scott Tolzien.

Tolzien finished 4-for-7 for 90 yards and an interception of his own.

Both of Sherer’s picks found the hands of Hawkeye middle linebacker Pat Angerer.

“I saw him once, the other time I didn’t see him, but you can’t force it,” Sherer said. “It’s my fault. If I don’t see it, I can’t throw it.”

His coach agreed.

“Dustin tried to force some things in there, really pressed at the end, but I did like some of the things that he brought to the table, in the second half particularly,” Bielema said.

“He wasn’t awfully good in the first half, but some of the things going on out there were not his fault,” Bielema added.

But Sherer isn’t one for excuses.

“I was a little nervous, but I just tried to go out there and do my thing,” he said. “Obviously, I didn’t play well. I’m not going to blame it on being nervous; I just didn’t play well.”

Running backs banged up

After rushing for 34 yards on eight carries, P.J. Hill limped off the field Saturday in the second quarter.

Hill did not return and was seen with ice around his left ankle after the game.

In Hill’s absence, freshman John Clay rushed for a career high 89 yards on 16 carries, but he, too, caught the injury bug late in the game.

“John aggravated his toe three weeks ago, and if he just hits it the right way that day, it aggravates it, and that’s what he did,” Bielema said. “So, that’s why we opted to go with Zach (Brown) down the stretch.”

Brown finished with 30 yards on three carries and the Badgers’ lone touchdown.