Defense ready for Bucks’ attack

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]FB_No47_JS[/media-credit]

It’s no secret that the University of Wisconsin football team has struggled defensively against spread offenses over the past few seasons. And Saturday’s matchup against No. 14 Ohio State won’t make things any easier.

The Buckeyes boast one of the best spread offenses in the nation, especially since the making the quarterback switch from senior Todd Boeckman to freshman phenom Terrelle Pryor. Pryor took over the starting spot two weeks ago after Ohio State’s embarrassing loss to USC, and he has thrown four touchdowns while rushing for 163 yards with one rushing trip to the end zone, leading OSU to two victories. Pryor was given few snaps through the first three games, but OSU’s offense has exploded since he took over the reins.

The Badgers’ defense struggled late against Steven Threet and the Michigan offense late last Saturday, and needless to say, they will have their work cut out for them again two nights from now.

“[We] looked like one of the best defenses in the nation [in the] first half [Saturday],” linebacker Jaevery McFadden said.

The spread offense starts, primarily, with the threat of Pryor to run or throw and is complimented by running back Chris “Beanie” Wells, who can run inside and out or catch the ball in the flats, presenting the Badgers’ defense with a lot to handle.

“We’d like to get penetration and break up the chemistry of running the ball,” McFadden added.

“We want the defensive line spying on [Pryor], not over pass-rushing him. Even if we’re zoning, [you can’t] worry just about your man, but also the quarterback running.”

Defensive coordinator Dave Doeren stressed keeping players around Pryor.

“He can create a lot of things for himself, so we need to tackle him with a lot of people,” Doeren said of the freshman.

Free safety Shane Carter, along with the rest of the UW defense, knows exactly how dangerous Pryor can be.

“We’ll have to contain him,” Carter said. “I’m seeing things quicker as far as the way receivers are lining up and being able to be there in run support for my linebackers.”

The Badgers are simply going to play their style though, not changing their identity for one or two impact players.

“We don’t want to go out of our game plan for Terrelle Pryor,” McFadden said. “We feel like we have athletes as far as linebackers and secondary, so if we see him run, we can chase him down. If he sees a hole, he’ll take it. If you see Pryor hit a hole, you’ve got to hit it. And if someone gets a good hit on him, it’ll shake him up.”

Although Pryor will be a main focal point for Doeren’s defense Saturday, Wells remains a concern, especially after his second-half performance against Wisconsin last season.

“He’s a big back, but nice feet, like a dancing bear,” McFadden said of Wells.

Carter agreed.

“[He’s a] big back with good speed, good balance, and just, I guess, good everything,” the senior added. “The key [for me] is just trying to read my keys and play fast.”

Regardless of who’s carrying the football Saturday for the Buckeyes, Doeren knows his crew needs to finish, something it didn’t do against the Wolverines.

“[We’ve got to] finish plays, finish drives, finish halves and finish games,” Doeren said.

McFadden understands that may be easier said than done.

“Ohio State has a lot of good talent,” he said. “They just want to beat you with that talent.”

Nonetheless, the Badgers are glad to be home, and they are counting on Madison’s rabid atmosphere to help shake up the Buckeyes’ young quarterback.

“The fans are going to be nuts. Camp Randall is going to be a 12th man defensively,” McFadden said. “This will be an environment [Pryor’s] not going to be used to. Hopefully it’ll be an advantage for us.”