Tough West Coast test ahead

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Football_BC[/media-credit]

When Wisconsin takes the field Saturday for the third time this season, the Badgers will attempt to do something they haven’t done in over a year: win on the road.

After losing three Big Ten contests away from Camp Randall Stadium as well as the Outback Bowl in Tampa, Fla. last year, UW will try to snap the road losing streak this weekend when it takes on Fresno State at Bulldog Stadium.

No. 21 Fresno State (1-0) beat Rutgers in its opening game two weeks ago and should be plenty rested to take on No. 10 Wisconsin (2-0) after taking last weekend off.

UW, on the other hand, spent last week digging itself out of a 14-0 hole by scoring 51 unanswered points to beat an overmatched Marshall squad. The Badgers are hoping last week’s strong finish will carry over to this week.

“That’s what we try to do, bring the momentum,” middle linebacker Jaevery McFadden said. “You have to try and bring some momentum on the road. It’s everyone against you.”

But playing in front of a hostile crowd doesn’t mean Wisconsin will be doing anything different to prepare.

“The game we’re going to play on Saturday is still going to be on a 100-yard field; it’s got the same dimensions,” head coach Bret Bielema said Monday. “There’s going to be the same number of players, same number of officials, and for us to be able to have success, we have to do what we do on that field better than anybody else.”

While playing on the road makes the Fresno game even tougher, defensive tackle Mike Newkirk is excited for the opportunity to play a tough opponent after starting the season by playing two less-talented teams.

“They’re the best team we’ve played so far, but we wouldn’t have asked for anything less,” Newkirk said. “If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best, so we’re looking forward to it.”

The Bulldogs went 9-4 last season and finished the year by beating Georgia Tech in the Humanitarian Bowl.

“Offensively, they’re led by a great quarterback, a senior quarterback that started a number of games, three tailbacks that roll through there,” Bielema said. “They got a tight end that’s as good as anybody in the country. Their defense plays tough. They’re well coached.”

Fresno State, a member of the Western Athletic Conference, has won 13 games against BCS conference teams since 2000, the second-highest number of wins in the nation by a non-BCS conference team in that span and will be looking for one of the program’s signature wins when it takes on Wisconsin.

“I know that they’re building this up to be the biggest game in their stadium history since Coach Hill has been there,” Bielema said. “I think that’s a great compliment to our program, where we stand right now.”

Wisconsin will have its hands full with Fresno State running back Ryan Matthews.

Matthews, a freshman, ran for 163 yards and three scores in Fresno’s season-opening win against Rutgers.

“They got a really good back. I respect their back a lot. He’s got good balance,” McFadden said. “You definitely got to wrap him up when you hit him.”

So far this season, the Badgers have done a good job of shutting down opposing rushing attacks, but Matthews will present the toughest challenge so far for the defense.

“I definitely know that I and the defense have to be on our A-game to stop him,” McFadden continued. “I love challenges, I love competition. It puts me in a spot where I can see how I well I do against a talented back like that.”

So far, McFadden has risen to every challenge he’s met this season. The Badgers’ leading tackler through the first two games, McFadden has stepped into the role of middle linebacker and thrived so far for the Badgers, recording 20 tackles over the first two games.

When asked whether he thought he’d start so strong, McFadden said, “I didn’t think so, but hard work did pay off. … I didn’t think I’d get off to a start like this, but I can’t complain.”

Whether McFadden’s strong performance continues will be largely determined by his ability to contain the Fresno back.

Matthews led the Bulldogs in rushing as a freshman and averaged an impressive 6 yards-per-carry last season. Although Matthews will certainly be difficult to stop, not all the Badgers are too concerned about keeping him contained, however.

“He’s a running back. It’s not anything to be afraid of,” Newkirk said. “Just take care of your responsibilities, stay true to your keys, and just play ball.”