Keselowski Wins In Dover

Last week’s race at Dover International Speedway was another example of why we can never assume anything in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. The Joe Gibbs Racing teammates Kyle Busch and Denny Hamlin dominated much of the event, one that was drastically changed by cautions. At the end of the first green flag run of the day, a caution flew, trapping much of the field a lap down. Most of those drivers were never able to regain the lost track position. Another caution with 92 laps remaining forced everyone to try to stretch their fuel mileage. Busch and Hamlin, along with several others, were forced to pit with only a handful of laps to go. They finished 7th and 8th, a lap down.

Jimmie Johnson, who was very strong all day decided to slow down and save fuel, losing positions but still finished 4th. Taking advantage of great fuel mileage and staking his claim to the championship once again was Brad Keselowski. Keselowski laid low all day, not pushing his car and saving his stuff for the end of the race. It was very reminiscent of his run at Chicago, which also ended in victory. With the win, Keselowski retakes the points lead by 5 over Johnson. Hamlin’s run, despite not finishing it off well, let him retain third place, 16 behind.

The top 10 finishers(chasers Bold) were: Keselowski, Jeff Gordon, Mark Martin, Johnson, Carl Edwards, Martin Truex, Jr., Busch, Hamlin, Clint Bowyer, and Joey Logano. The other chasers were: Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (11th), Kevin Harvick (13th), Kasey Kahne (15th), Greg Biffle (16th), Tony Stewart (20th), and Matt Kenseth (35th).

Driver

Points (behind)

Brad Keselowski

2142 (–)

Jimmie Johnson

2137 (-5)

Denny Hamlin

2126 (-16)

Clint Bowyer

2117 (-25)

Tony Stewart

2110 (-32)

Kasey Kahne

2110 (-32)

Dale Earnhardt, Jr.

2103 (-39)

Martin Truex, Jr.

2100 (-42)

Kevin Harvick

2096 (-46)

Jeff Gordon

2094 (-48)

Greg Biffle

2091 (-51)

Matt Kenseth

2070 (-72)

This week, the series moves to the biggest wild card of the season: Talladega. This restrictor-plate track is notorious for big crashes and unexpected winners. This will most likely be the race that eliminates some drivers from championship contention. Drivers like Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle, and Jeff Gordon will need to avoid trouble and finish well in order to still have a chance at winning it all. They might also need the front-runners to have trouble of their own.

Jeff Gordon (6), Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (5), Brad Keselowski (2), Jimmie Johnson (2), Clint Bowyer (2), Tony Stewart (1), and Kevin Harvick (1), all have victories at the 2.66 mile Talladega Superspeedway. Keselowski won in April. The Hendrick Motorsports drivers (Gordon, Earnhardt, Johnson, and Kahne) will all be very strong, but as was said above, anyone with a drafting partner will have a chance. The biggest challenge will be just getting to the end with car intact. Expect high speeds, wrecked race cars, fiery tempers, and a wild finish. Coverage of the Good Sam Roadside Assistance 500 begins at noon on ESPN.