BCS is short for bowl controversy system

Every year the Bowl Championship Series or BCS system seems to be subject of much controversy. Although it hasn’t received as much heat the past few years, critics have bashed the BCS since it was first instituted.

The 98′-99′ NCAA college football season was the first to use the new system and it left Kansas State Wildcat fans very unpleasant. Kansas State finished third in the BCS rankings that year, but didn’t get a BCS bowl invitation because it was passed up by fourth-ranked Ohio State and eight-ranked Florida. The decision was so puzzling the BCS adopted the “Kansas State Rule,” which guaranteed the third-ranked team an automatic bid to a BCS bowl game.

It was the first season for the BCS, so there was bound to be flaws with the system but its problems only got worse from there.

In 2000 Florida State played Oklahoma for the national championship, rather than a more qualified Miami Hurricanes team. In 2001 a Nebraska squad that didn’t even win its own conference played Miami in the title game. The controversy continued with a dispute over who should be crowned the national champion after the 03′-04′ season between LSU and USC.

Since then we’ve had controversy nearly every year about who should compete in the national championship game. It’s become even more complicated in the last five years with non automatic-qualifying teams like Boise State and TCU getting into the mix.

I could go on forever about all the flaws of the BCS and mistakes since it was instituted, but the system seems to have worked well the past few seasons.

Don’t give too much credit to the BCS though, because it has “lucked out” more than it’s actually done a good job.

The only time the BCS gets through a season unscathed from critics is when there are two clear-cut teams that are undoubtedly the best in the nation. Last year it was obvious that undefeated Oregon and Auburn would battle for the title. We didn’t need a complicated computer system to tell the nation who the two best teams were last year.

For instance, take a look how this college football season has progressed. There are only three undefeated teams remaining in division one football: LSU, Oklahoma State, and Houston. Houston has a long shot of receiving consideration to get an invite to the title game in New Orleans because of its weak schedule, so LSU and Oklahoma State control their own destiny.

The BCS must be crossing its fingers and cringing at the thought of the chaos that’ll emerge if one of those two teams loses before the end of the season. Potential pandemonium waits because there’s eight one-loss teams in the top ten that are salivating at the chance to place for a national championship.

There’s a very good chance this scenario will play out. LSU still faces sixth-ranked Arkansas and another tough opponent if they play in the SEC title game. Oklahoma State won’t have a conference title game to worry about, but the Cowboys end with their toughest game of the season against Oklahoma.

The best bowl games of college football shouldn’t have to come down to controversy every year. There shouldn’t be a system in place where people need to always pray that they get it right.

A playoff system isn’t necessarily the best option, but something needs to be corrected. It’s simply unacceptable to have controversy nearly every year about who should square off in the best bowl games of college football.