Heat out to prove they belong in likely second-round battle with Celtics

The 2010-11 season has been one of ups and downs for the Miami Heat. Facing immense expectations, the team faltered in the beginning of the year, but has since righted the ship. As the East’s No. 2 seed, Miami has dominated the Philadelphia 76ers en route to a commanding 3-0 series lead.

In game one, a 97-89 victory, Chris Bosh set the tone with 25 points and 12 rebounds, while LeBron James overcame a tough shooting night to score 21 points and grab 14 rebounds. Though Philadelphia was able to hang around for much of game one, game two was another story. Miami jumped out to a 49-31 halftime lead and never looked back.

The Sixers’ starters struggled to score throughout the game and Miami took advantage with James and Bosh combining for 50 points and 18 rebounds. Dwyane Wade was ineffective for much of the game, dealing with chronic migraines, but managed to score 14 points in 34 minutes. Thursday’s game three was close throughout, but heading into the final period trailing 75-73, Miami’s “Big Three” took over and led the Heat to a 100-94 victory as Bosh, James and Wade combined for a whopping 75 points, 31 rebounds and 15 assists.

As the Heat look to close out the series in Philadelphia on Sunday, a potential matchup with the reigning Eastern Conference champion Boston Celtics looms in round two. Boston, playing against New York in the first round, has won both games by a combined five points, relying on late game heroics on both sides of the ball. In game one, Ray Allen nailed a clutch three-pointer late in the fourth to give Boston the lead for good, and a steal by Kevin Garnett with four seconds left sealed the Celtics’ victory in game two.

If Boston can close the series over the next five games, a meeting with the Heat could give fans a dream second-round matchup. Though Boston took the first three of the two teams’ four regular season games, Miami defeated the Celtics by 23 points less than two weeks ago in what many saw as a playoff preview.

Boston hopes it was anything but and is out to prove its veteran core is still the squad to beat in the East. However, with all three of Miami’s superstars playing at a high level, it will not be an easy task. Paul Pierce and Ray Allen must contain James and Wade off the ball, as Kendrick Perkins is no longer present to help defend the paint. Miami also has to contain point guard Rajon Rondo and keep him out of the paint, as he struggles mightily shooting from beyond ten feet.