Wisconsin defense dazed by Sun Devils

If the Badgers want to make it to Pasadena this year, they’re going to need to start playing much better football. They’re off to a 3-0 record, but there is still much for them to improve on.

Both Arizona State and Wisconsin were 2-0 headed into this weekend’s game. Wisconsin was looking for a decisive win, but instead had to settle for a 20-19 nail- bitter.

Defensively, the Badgers played a decent game but gave up too many yards to Arizona State. The secondary struggled to cover the Sun Devils’ speedy receivers who gained too much separation, leading to too many easy catches. Wisconsin gave up 380 total yards, and 211 of those were passing yards.

ASU also found success running the ball. Deantre Lewis had just nine carries for 122 yards in the game. Arizona State averaged six yards a carry, which is simply unacceptable for the Badgers’ defense. Despite UW’s defensive struggles they only allowed 12 points, with the other touchdown coming on a kick return. The Sun Devils essentially could not convert their long drives into points.

The Badgers’ special teams were a major topic of discussion Saturday. They’re mediocre special teams coverage almost lost them the game, but at the end they came up with a crucial blocked extra point to win the game.

Wisconsin’s special teams made numerous mistakes and played very poorly. The kick coverage team had trouble tackling anybody, as both Omar Bolden and Kyle Middlebrooks of Arizona State had long kick returns. Near the end of the first quarter, Bolden took a kick 97 yards for his team’s first touchdown of the game. Later in the game, after the Badgers scored a touchdown with 10 seconds to go before halftime, Middlebrooks appeared to have outrun the coverage team for another touchdown until he was tackled at the one-yard line. The special teams unit also gave up a punt for a touchdown that was called back on penalties.

With 4:09 remaining in the game, Arizona State scored on a two-yard touchdown run. The visiting fans erupted into an “ASU” chant, assuming they had just tied the game. However, senior defensive back Jay Valai had other intentions when he blocked the extra-point attempt that sent Camp Randall into an uproar. Wisconsin sealed the victory by running out the rest of the clock.

The Badgers played far from a great game, but they still managed to win. Good teams always find a way to get the victory regardless of how poorly they’re playing, but they won’t be able to play conference opponents the same way and escape with a win. Teams like Ohio State and Iowa will be better at exposing Wisconsin’s weaknesses and taking advantage of their mistakes.

There were still some bright spots on special teams that they can build on. James White did a decent job returning kicks and Philip Welch went 2-for-3 on field goals (6-for-7 on the season). The main concern this week will be the Badgers’ ability to cover punts and kickoffs.

The defense played well enough to hold off Arizona State, but they’ll need to improve quickly. The Sun Devils was able to move the ball too easily, and if Wisconsin wants to have a chance at slowing down Terrelle Pryor and the Ohio State offense, their secondary needs to play much better.

This Saturday the Badgers will host the 2-1 Austin Peay Governors. Wisconsin will be looking to clean up their mistakes from last week and earn a decisive victory before heading into conference play.