Freshman Focus: Brendan Kelly

By Ian McCue

Redshirt freshman Brendan Kelly has had a tough start to his career. After just three games last season, the defensive end for the Badgers’ football team suffered an injury that knocked him out for the rest of the season.

A recruit from Eden Prairie, Minn., Kelly has had much more of an impact on the team in his second year. He has seen action in six games in 2009, coming up with two tackles in the Badgers’ impressive defensive showing against Purdue.

As it is for most college athletes, the jump from the high school to college level has been a major adjustment for Kelly, but one that he’s enjoyed.

“It’s definitely a different speed than high school, I’d say, it’s a lot more fun, a lot more work, I think it’s a lot more up-tempo,” Kelly said. “Guys are just a lot bigger than high school. You could pretty much run anyone you want over in high school, college is, it’s a different story.”

The freshman defensive end also noted that the time commitment has been the hardest adjustment to the college game.

“In high school it’s more of a, you know, it’s a sport,” he said. “In college it’s a lifestyle.”

Highly touted coming out of high school, Kelly says the coaching staff was what convinced him to choose Wisconsin over other schools.

“Coach Bielema and Coach Partridge, my D-Line coach, are the two big, the two great coaches here that really have a great legacy as being good people and good coaches,” he added.

Kelly has gained a reputation among coaches and teammates as a hard-worker.

“He’s a guy that works really hard–he overworks himself at times,” senior defensive end O’Brien Schofield said. “He’s very dedicated to what he does.”

Partiridge also sees a lot of potential in Kelly and envisions him becoming a crucial part of the Badgers’ defense in the future.

“Without question he’s got a tremendous work ethic,” Partridge said. “And his hand use, he does a great job with his hands.”

After an impressive performance in the Purdue game, Kelly feels that the defense can continue to have such dominating performances.

“Preseason…a lot of people said that our defense wasn’t going to be up to par,” he said. “But, you know, we’re one of those teams that, you say that and we’re going to come out and try to prove you wrong.”

Even with Kelly’s recent success, Partridge believes improving his fundamental skills are key to his success.

“I think just continuing to get consistent with his initial footwork, which is a huge key for defensive linemen,” Partridge said.

And though Kelly is not currently a starter, he remains confident in his abilities and believes he can take on an important role for the Badgers football team.

“I think I can come off the edge and give you good pass rush, I think I can play the run real well too. I can really give you, give the starters some breaks, you know, when they need it,” Kelly added.

Schofield also sees a lot of potential in Kelly, and described him as “a good pass rusher and a very smart football player.”

“I’m just happy with his progress,” Partridge said. “Like I said, needs to continue to get a little bit better each time he’s on the practice field and the game field.”