Scouting the Gophers

This Saturday, the Badgers will take on the Gophers in the first Big Ten game at brand new TCF Bank Stadium. Another chapter will be added to the storied rivalry come Saturday as both teams enter the game with high expectations. Here is a rundown of what you can expect from the Gophers on both sides of the ball.?

Offense:

Minnesota’s offense revolves around one player – Eric Decker. The Gopher wide receiver, who always seems to make big plays, is considered one of the best in the country. The Minnesota coaching staff will do anything to get the ball in Decker’s hands so the Wisconsin defense will have to be ready for some possible trick plays.?

Quarterback Adam Weber has built some good chemistry with Decker and when those two are clicking this is a tough offense to stop. In an attempt to produce a more balanced attack, Minnesota has gone back to a pro-style offense, but the Gopher running backs, led by Duane Bennett, have had?their?struggles this season.?

Defense:

The Minnesota defense is led by a solid group of senior linebackers. Simoni Lawrence, Nate Triplett and Lee Campbell have all had tremendous starts to the 2009 season. There are nine senior starters on the Gopher defense, so this is a pretty experienced unit overall. ?

Unfortunately for the Gophers, one of the senior starters, Cedric McKinley, has been suspended for Saturday’s game. McKinley is a powerful defensive end whose presence will be missed as the Gophers attempt to slow down the Wisconsin rushing attack.

In the secondary, some Badger fans may recognize the name Kim Royston. Royston transferred from UW a couple years ago and he has become a starting safety for Minnesota. The former Badger had a big interception last week, but this Minnesota secondary has been an inconsistent group so far this season.?