New football numbers to know

A few days ago the football team released an updated roster that included the incoming freshman and the numbers they will be wearing when they take the field on September 5th. The roster also shows that some veterans have opted for a number switch, so here is a run-down of some new numbers, and some reasons why Badger fans should remember them for the upcoming season.

Jay Valai: No. 2

Valai just can’t seem to find a number that he likes. The safety started his career with 26, then switched to 12, and now has decided to take Jonathan Casillas’s no. 2. Regardless of all the jersey inconsistencies, one thing is for sure – Valai can flat out hit. He has emerged as a real force for the Wisconsin defense and we will definitely see No. 2 step up and make some bone-jarring hits this season.

Blake Sorensen: No. 9

In the first two names I’ve mentioned we have seen two multi-year starters pass down their numbers. First it was Casillas, and now Travis Beckum, whose number 9 will now be worn by Blake Sorensen. Sorensen, a junior who added around 15 pounds in the off-season, will likely be named a starter at outside linebacker. That No. 9 served Beckum pretty well, so hopefully Sorensen will emerge as a playmaker on the other side of the ball.

Montee Ball: No. 31

Not to put too much pressure on the incoming 4-star freshman, but Montee Ball looks to be the next big-time Badger running back. John Clay is ready to carry the team and he is going to get the majority of the work for the next couple seasons, but Ball could take a couple carries here and there. He set all kinds of Missouri high school rushing records (the guy ran for over 8,000 yards and had an outstanding 8.26 yards per carry average) and he has enough raw talent to see the field as a freshman.

Kraig Appleton: No. 81

Quite honestly, there is not one recruit in the past three years that has gotten me more excited than Kraig Appleton. He is exactly what the Badgers have struggled to find, as he is a highly regarded prospect who brings great size and athleticism to the wide receiver position. UW does appear to have some good depth at WR this year, but don’t be at all surprised if we see No. 81 stretching the field in 09.

J.J. Watt: No. 99

Last year’s scout team defensive player of the year will now have a bigger role and a bigger number to go along with it. Watt, a transfer from Central Michigan who wore no. 87 last year, has climbed his way up the depth chart and will start at defensive tackle for UW. Watt has continued to add weight but has kept his athleticism which allows him to play both DE and DT. With the departures of Newkirk and Chapman, Watt’s progression will be even more critical to UW’s success, and it will be his job to wreak havoc in the opponent’s backfield.