WCHA looks to expand to 12 teams

The Western Collegiate Hockey Association announced today it will be pursuing the possibility of expanding its membership from 10 to 12 teams in the near future, according to UWBadgers.com.

As a first step toward doing so, the WCHA lifted its moratorium on expansion as of today and continuing indefinitely. According to the commissioner’s office, the earliest the league would be able to expand to 12 teams is the 2011-12 season due to contractual obligations.

“The Western Collegiate Hockey Association membership today took a positive step forward in their decision to embrace possible expansion,” WCHA Commissioner Bruce M. McLeod said. “And we will continue to explore we may expand once we have completed further studies and once we have been able to identify potential members that fit the league’s criteria for membership.”

One possible new member could be Bemidiji State University, an original member of the WCHA women’s league, who presented an application for membership in the WCHA at Monday’s annual league meeting in Marco Island, Fla.