Outdoor hockey coming to Camp Randall

The UW Athletic Department announced Friday that both the Wisconsin men’s and women’s hockey teams will play an outdoor game at Camp Randall Stadium on Feb. 6, 2010.?

The women’s team will host the Bemidji State Beavers, while the men’s squad will host the Michigan Wolverines. The women’s game will be played before the men’s. Start times for the games have not yet been released. Ticket prices have been listed at $25, while students can purchase tickets for $10.

The Camp Randall Hockey Classic will mark the second time in four years that the Badger men will play an outdoor game in the state of Wisconsin. The Badgers and Ohio State Buckeyes faced off in the Frozen Tundra Hockey Classic on Feb. 11, 2006, at Lambeau Field in Green Bay.?

“We’ve already experienced one outdoor game and it was an even that is hard to describe,” UW men’s hockey coach Mike Eaves said in a statement.?

“It’s very exciting to be playing at the stadium, especially for women’s hockey,” Badger women’s head coach Mark Johnson said. “We try to give student-athletes the chance to experience something different and this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.”?

The rink will be set up in the center of the field, with the ends of the rink stretching to about the 17-yard lines.?

Read Monday’s Badger Herald for full coverage of Friday’s press conference, with reaction from UW men’s players Blake Geoffrion and Ben Street, along with Eaves and Associate Athletic Director Sean Frazier.