Men’s hockey: More from the Shattuck story

Some things didn’t make?today’s story?in the Herald on four Badgers who all attended Shattuck-St. Mary’s in Faribault, Minn. Here are some of the highlights:

Tom Ward, SSM’s hockey director and head coach of the boy’s prep team, on the rigorous schedules:?

“It takes a toll, absolutely it does. That’s part of what makes them ready to go when they move on and do whatever they’re going to do at the next level. That’s all part of the process. It’s part of the environment that they’re in here. They get used to traveling and getting home late and night and getting up early in the morning and going to school. The expectation’s on them to get good grades and they get to practice the next day and get after it. They can put themselves to bed at night and get themselves up and feed themselves. That’s not easy to do as a 15-year-old kid.”

Ward, on players keeping in touch after leaving Shattuck:?

“There’s a real unique bond between the student-athletes here and our school that’s life-lasting. It’s great to come and see these kids at alumni events and how they keep in touch. I know Jonathan Toews and Zach Parise and Sidney (Crosby) all got together at the All-Star Game. They’re not from the same hometown. They just have one thing in common, and that’s Shattuck.”

Ward, on McBain:

“Jamie was a good player when he was here. He’s a skillful kid. He’s come a long way from a 13-year-old kid or 14-year-old kid when he first showed up at Shattuck. His game, his skill level has just blossomed. He’s a great young man.”

Ward, on Murray and Stepan:

They’re members of a team to do the first thing we’ve had, and that’s back-to-back national championships here, which is something that they were able to do that a lot of other pretty dang good players were a part of that weren’t able to pull off. … They’re both great kids. They’re hard-working kids. They’re the kind of guys that are the first guys on the ice at practice and the last guys off. … I think the Badger fans will see in time, once they become upperclassmen and get more leadership roles on the team that they’ll find out the true kind of people that they are.”

Stepan, on winning back-to-back titles:

“We joke around about it. It’s called the ‘Shattuck Curse.’ Every other year, you win the national championship. … When we came back after my junior year, we knew we were going to be stronger because our junior class, a lot of the guys were sticking around. … When we snapped it, it was a pretty cool feeling.”