Badger hockey cracks Top 20

After reeling off a five-game winning streak following a weekend sweep of Alaska Anchorage, the UW men’s hockey team (9-7-2, 7-5-2 WCHA) is back in the national polls, garnering the No. 16 spot in the USCHO.com poll.

The Badgers were the second-highest unranked team receiving votes last week but jumped six spots after 3-2 and 7-2 victories over the Seawolves. UW has now lost just once in its last 11 games–a 6-2 loss to St. Cloud State–after beginning the season 0-6-1.

No surprise in the women’s poll as the unbeaten Badger womens’ team (18-0-2) remains the top squad in the nation after sweeping the St. Cloud State Huskies 7-0 and 6-2. Wisconsin was the unanimous No. 1, receiving all 15 first-place votes.

Both teams will now have some time off before returning to action. The men’s squad will host Alabama Huntsville in the first round of the Badger Hockey Showdown Dec. 27 and will then face either Harvard or Lake Superior State the following night.

The womens’ team will not play again until 2009, hosting the U.S. Select Team Jan. 2 in an exhibition game and then traveling to take on Minnesota Duluth in a two-game road series.