Geoffrion could play in holiday tournament

The Wisconsin men’s hockey team saw its captain Blake Geoffrion helped off the ice Friday night against Alaska Anchorage after suffering an apparent ankle injury.

What appeared at the time to be rather serious–Geoffrion was grabbing his leg in obvious pain and didn’t return the rest of the weekend–might not end up to be quite as bad as initially thought.

Geoffrion walked into the media room after UW’s 7-2 win Saturday wearing a boot on his left foot. Following the win, head coach Mike Eaves said Geoffrion’s status will be week-to-week.

In Geoffrion’s absence, Eaves noted that the entire team came together Saturday in preparing for the series finale.

“It was an atmosphere where, without Blake being there, just kind of walking by you could hear more guys chatter,” Eaves said. “I think everybody just basically stepped up.”

The Badgers saw two other players go out with injuries over the weekend. Freshman defenseman Jake Gardiner was shaken up after a big open-ice hit in the first period of Friday night’s 3-2 win and did not play the rest of the series. Junior forward Ben Grotting went down Saturday and also did not return.

With a few weeks off to rest before returning to play in the Badger Hockey Showdown Dec. 27 and 28, Eaves said it was “reasonable” that all three could be back by then.