Randle El’s career finished

At his weekly press conference Monday, UW head football coach Bret Bielema announced wide receiver Marcus Randle El would be leaving the team because of injury issues.

“Going into the year, we didn’t think he would be able to make it through our double-day sessions,” Bielema said, adding he and Randle El made the joint decision after the wide out’s surgically repaired knee really began to bother him in recent weeks. “He gutted it up and got to the point where he is today, but he is going to pursue a medical scholarship at this point, hopefully be able to duplicate what we’ve done with Justin Ostrowski.”

Ostrowski, a former defensive tackle, gave up playing football during the past offseason after knee injuries continued to nag him. He is still around the team somewhat, and was introduced Saturday along with his classmates during the team’s pregame Senior Day festivities.

The younger brother of former Indiana quarterback and current Washington Redskins wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, Marcus Randle El was hampered by injuries during his time with the Badgers. He caught four passes for 45 yards and a touchdown over parts of three seasons.