Scotish songstress debuts wither power

According to KT Tunstall's considerably thick press kit, there are three major facts to know about the singer/songwriter: 1) She's Scottish. This is, according to the press releases, really cool. 2) She spent the last 15 years of her life (she doesn't look 30, but she is) writing songs, performing and trying to break into the music business. 3) Last year, she did it, and her album Eye to the Telescope has sold more than a million copies in the United Kingdom, making her the best-selling female artist of the year across the pond.

And with good reason. Eye to the Telescope is a thoughtful, pretty debut album that meanders through styles, tempos and moods and is anchored by Tunstall's bluesy vocals, which range from delicate to raw, sometimes in the same song.

Since the release of Eye of the Telescope, the buzz regarding Tunstall has grown considerably, much in part through her first single "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree," the video for which has been on heavy rotation on VH1. "Black Horse” is without question the best track on Eye to the Telescope and ironically almost didn't make it onto the album. It was added at the last minute only after an immense audience response during one of Tunstall's live shows.

"Black Horse and the Cherry Tree," is a relentlessly energetic track that thumps and mesmerizes like a darkly vivid dream put to music. And while other songs only hint of the strength of Tunstall's vocals, she lets it rip on this track and showcases the immense power of her Janis Joplin-esque voice. The majority of Eye to the Telescope leans toward the gentle, sleepy side in both mood and vocals, but "Black Horse” demands the listener's attention and emphasizes Tunstall's potential.

The rest of Eye to the Telescope goes by like a sleepy, pleasant daydream, despite the fact that a slowed down pace causes the album to lose its focus at the end. Most of the songs aren't especially catchy or memorable, (with the exception of "Suddenly I See") but they're all solid and enjoyable.

At its core, the album is a showcase of Tunstall's incredible voice. What is unfortunate is that she is a little too safe with her sound, especially since "Black Horse” hinted at everything she's capable of. While it would be great to hear more of Tunstall cutting loose with her vocals, her effort is still massively superior to anything that Jessica Simpson, Mariah Carey or any other contrived pop princess has recently bestowed upon the airwaves.

Tunstall's album is definitely not a collection of potential number one singles. These songs are meant to be heard as a unified experience, and they are better when they're listened to as such.

With an album that is a lovely medley of relevant, soulful songs that run the gamut from quietly contemplative to brazenly rock ‘n’ roll, Tunstall has realized the goal of announcing to the world who she is and everything she is capable of.

Rating: 4 out of 5