Album leaves listeners in purgatory

The band is called Hell is for Heroes. Hell is also listening to their latest album, Transmit Disrupt.

It would be unfair to say this British group is talentless. They seem to have a pretty firm grasp on the basics of guitar, drums and vocals, and with these elements they have definitely figured out how to make copious amounts of noise. They seem to be putting a lot of effort forth. They're certainly trying. Unfortunately, all of their energy amounts to a monotonous, trying, boring album that doesn't have a hell (ha ha) of a lot going for it.

There is little to distinguish the twelve tracks on Transmit Disrupt from one another. The first 10 seconds of every song are unique and semi-promising. After these 10 seconds are over, however, each track builds into a pounding, thumping mass of noise, held together by vocalist Justin Schlossberg's flat, whiny voice. If Schlossberg had a wider range, or at least a more interesting voice, Hell is for Heroes might be something, but as it is he is simply a tolerable singer for a barely tolerable band.

This repetitiveness of the album wouldn't be such a bad thing if the band had an appealing style or something to set them apart from other screaming, noise heavy hardcore bands, but they don't. They fall somewhere between the delicate punk sounds of bands like AFI and the thrash metal noise of groups like Lamb of God. Hell is for Heroes can't seem to decide what side they want to join, and as a result their sound gets lost in the middle — but if you've heard their sound, you know that this loss is probably a good thing.

The only slightly memorable five minutes on Transmit Disrupt are taken up by the title track. The band uses this song to show off their kinder, gentler sides with discernable lyrics and actual melodies. Three minutes into the song they seem to realize that this isn't the best route to take, as it makes the torture of listening to Schlossberg's voice all the more obvious. In the last two minutes the band dives back into their hardcore sound with a vengeance, and it's not a good thing.

It's difficult to understand the lyrics on most of the album, since they are being both screamed and drowned out by the instruments. An inspection of the liner notes reveals clichés like "quick convictions get promotions / waiting for the final verdict / sentence passed, case is closed." Hell is for Heroes could have redeemed themselves with interesting, thought provoking lyrics, however, lines like "now the power's out / all that I can see / is the gleaming white / of your retina" are about as insightful as it gets.

It is clearly impossible to love this album, however, it's also kind of impossible to hate it. Hell is for Heroes has not created a sound or an album that is offensive, or even shockingly terrible. Everything about Transmit Disrupt is simply so tedious, cliché and forgettable that it barely leaves an impression at all. It's a challenge to recall a standout lyric, melody or moment from the album after listening to it. Hell may be for Heroes, but listening to this album is a lot like purgatory.