British singer rocks with melodic pop

If you thought you had your fill of British pop with the likes of Keane and Coldplay, you were wrong. That just means that you haven't heard Aqualung … yet. Aqualung is Matt Hales, who tackles the genre of melancholy pop with an apparent effortlessness that does not come easily to many musicians. For Hales, this is as should be. It seems that music runs through his veins: growing up in and around his parents' record store, Hales played classical piano and was already writing his own music by the impressive age of four.

After being a part of several bands, Matt found success with a solo career. His songs have been featured in a 2002 Volkswagen commercial in the United Kingdom and soundtracks from "The OC" and "A Lot Like Love." In the UK, his first two albums, Still Life and the self-titled Aqualung, have made the musician a recognizable figure in British music. His debut in the US comes in the form of Strange and Beautiful, which is a compilation of songs from his previous albums.

The first song on the disc is the title track "Strange and Beautiful." It has a slow, melodic and entrancing sound. This is very fitting for the simple refrain of "I'll put a spell on you / and when I wake you / I'll be the first thing you see / and you'll realize that you love me." For the listener, "Strange and Beautiful" is a great introduction to the vocals of Matt Hales. He has a very simple sound, but still captivates your attention because of emphasis placed on his lyrics.

"Falling Out of Love" and "Good Times Gonna Come" follow, but just don't live up to expectations. However, Hales redeems himself on "Brighter than Sunshine," which picks the tempo of the disc back up. While crooning "I didn't have the strength to fight / But suddenly it seems all right / You and me / What a feeling" the song seems hopeful, in contrast to the majority of the album. This song stands out on the album; it definitely has the potential to be a bona fide hit.

At first glance, "Breaking My Heart" is just another song about heartache. However, as Hales goes into the refrain "You're breaking my heart again / Don't ask me to start again / Start again" his falsetto makes an appearance. It is far from perfect; in fact it's a little shaky. However, instead of sounding amateur, it creates a sort of desperate tension, which befits the song.

One of the best tracks on Strange and Beautiful is "Easier to Lie." It has a soothing quality to it, although it is one of the more upbeat songs. The lyrics are very sincere and easy to relate to as Hales sings "And maybe I could be the one you need / If you'd only show me / Show me how to live and bear the weight / And push into the sky / It's easier to lie."

Hales' musical talent really shines on "Extra Ordinary Thing." The song begins with a harpsichord, giving the song an archaic sound. After the harpsichord disappears, Hales' accompaniment is replaced by a lone piano. This allows the musician to show off his classical training and lets the listener concentrate on the words, "Falling, fractured / Broken, busted / All for nothing."

"Extra Ordinary Thing" sums up what Aqualung is all about. The music and the lyrics are sorrowful, yet soothing, and at the same time eerie and pensive. None of the songs ever take on an extremely upbeat tempo, yet it doesn't wear the listener down. It is tremendously difficult to walk such a fine line, a fact that has caused many less talented artists to fail. This, though, is where Matt Hales thrives. His talent does not necessarily lie in his vocal ability, but more in his amazing musicianship. He can write more thoughtful lyrics than most and plays almost all of the instruments featured on the album. Aqualung is an ode to what today's music should be like.

Grade: AB