Men’s soccer battles to 1-1 extra time draw

Mens+soccer+battles+to+1-1+extra+time+draw+

After conceding a goal in the first 48 seconds to Loyola-Chicago, the University of Wisconsin men’s soccer team rallied to tie the game, but neither team could find the second goal and the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

Loyola started the game with the ball and pushed the ball forward immediately, not allowing the Badgers (2-8-2, 0-4 Big Ten) to get a touch until the ball was already in their own box.

Wisconsin tried clearing the ball, but it was deflected, stayed in the box and shot into the back of the net by Loyola senior midfielder Ben Crognale, just 48 seconds into the game to give the Ramblers an early 1-0 lead.

Looking for just their third victory this season, Wisconsin head coach John Trask was not pleased with the early goal allowed to Loyola.

“You can’t play catch-up, especially as a young team,” Trask said.  “Hopefully the lesson has been learned.”

The response to the goal was impressive, as Wisconsin did not let the goal hurt their morale, despite being in an early deficit.

“We didn’t change much offensively,” senior captain Jacob Brindle said. “It was bad on us to give up a goal that easy,” Brindle said. “We just stuck to our game plan and did what we needed to do.”

It took 17 minutes later, for Wisconsin to tie the game. The equalizing goal came in the 18th minute after Wisconsin freshman midfielder Mike Catalano flicked a ball from the end line that got past the Loyola keeper. Two Loyola defenders were on the ground in front of the goal with the ball, nearly preventing a goal, but UW’s Tom Barlow was able to get a foot on the ball to put it into the back of the net to tie the game at one.

The Badgers were able to fight back offensively in the first half, tallying five total shots. Wisconsin was also able to maintain possession on the Ramblers’ goalkeeper Andrew Chekadanov, who had three saves in the opening half.

“One thing we keep preaching to these guys is that unless a goal happens in the 89th minute, soccer is a long game, there is a lot of moments to get back in games,” Trask said. “Maybe it registered that we had plenty of time this time to get [the goal] back.

“We started playing better, right away in the game. But rather than just, everybody losing their position and not being disciplined, I thought we found our goal out of being disciplined, which I thought was good to see.”

The game would remain tied for the remainder of the first half.

Throughout the second half, the Badgers were not able to generate much offense, for the total of two shots, with only one of those being on goal, but Loyola could not find a game-winning goal either so the two teams went to the first extra period tied at one.

In the extra period, Wisconsin picked up the pace, attacking Loyola for the entirety of the time.

Freshman Mark Segbers sprinted past the Loyola defense, almost into the corner of the 18-yard box, before getting pulled down from behind, drawing a yellow card on the Ramblers.

The free kick from 20 yards out made it through the crowd of players in the box, and Wisconsin scored the goal, but not before the assistant referee called the Badgers offside.

“To start winning games in overtime instead of tying them or losing them is a big jump in these guys’ development,” Trask said. “I thought they had it tonight.”

Freshman Adrian Remeniuk took post at goal, and he rewarded the Badgers with four saves on the night — one below his career high.

Also getting into the game was freshman Tyler Yanisch who played in just his second game of the season, coming in for midfielder Luc Kazmierczak in the first half for seven minutes, and then again in the second half for Brian Hail.

“He has not played much midfield, but we’re looking for some added depth wide in the midfield,” Trask said. “I thought he did well on his first stint in the first half.”

The Badgers’ offense has now scored a goal in each of their past four games. Junior midfielder Drew Connor says Wisconsin is getting better at passes and crosses to give their forwards more opportunities.

“Just staying patient when we get in the final third [of the field],” Connor said. “Just really trying to find that last pass. We’re doing a good job of working it up the field and getting it out wide, but we have had trouble finding that assist.”

The Badgers won the corner kick battle as well Wednesday, with a 4-3 advantage over the Ramblers, including two in the second half and another in the second overtime period.

With goals coming on a more consistent basis, the Badgers offense seems to be running smoothly, as they move back into conference play.

Wisconsin’s next game is Saturday at 7 p.m. against Ohio State at the McClimon Complex.