Ron Dayne to launch Community Champions Program

Former Badgers running back and Heisman trophy winner Ron Dayne is very excited to give back to the Madison community this year.

Dayne and Public Relations Coordinator Kayla Gross introduced Monday The Ron Dayne Community Champions Program, which is a new initiative of The Badgers Giveback Program.

According to Gross, the program “will aim to identify local community members that are having an impact in the community in a positive way.” They are asking fans and the community to nominate people who are performing great work on the Wisconsin Athletic’s website, uwbadgers.com. Gross explained that someone can nominate a person by completing the online form on the Badgers Giveback Page titled Ron Dayne Community Champions. The page has a list of criteria that must be met by the nominee.

One champion will be selected each month and will be recognized on the field at Camp Randall or on the court at the Kohl Center depending on the month. Dayne will also give them a private tour and take the nominee out to lunch.

“This is a great opportunity for me to give back to the community that’s been so great for me for all these years” Dayne, who broke the NCAA record for career rushing yards 15 years ago, said.

Gross also said the program will focus its efforts around four key areas.

“We have organized our efforts around 4 key initiatives based on feedback we’ve received from the public. We have focused our issues around education, mentorship, providing assistance in a time of crisis or illness and health and wellness.”

The initiative will look to nominate people outside of these four initiatives as well, Gross said.

Getting older, not being involved in football and seeing the support of the UW fan base is what Dayne said sparked his interest to give back. He also talked about how his uncle, Rob, was a key role model during Dayne’s youth.

“Now, I’m part of the community where I want to help the younger kids out and other people who don’t have as many opportunities,” Dayne said.

“[I want to] lead the right way, set a good example for my kids, not do the crazy things I was doing when I was younger and to stay on the straight and narrow.”