Senior guard named All-American

Wisconsin senior guard Kirk Penney was named an honorable mention All-American by the Associated Press Thursday. Penney, one of just 11 players in the country to average at least 16.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists, led the Badgers to the Big Ten title and an appearance in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament this season.

Penney was a unanimous first-team all-Big Ten selection this year, becoming the first Badger since 1952 to earn first-team all-Big Ten honors in consecutive seasons. He was also a first-team all-region choice by the National Association of Basketball Coaches, the U.S. Basketball Writers Association and the Basketball Times.

Penney finished his career with 1,454 points, good for sixth on Wisconsin’s all-time top-scorers list. His 217 career 3-pointers are second most in school history, and his 83 wins were the most by any player in school annals. This season, he averaged a team-best 16.2 points to go with a team-leading 100 assists. His 6.0 rebounds per game were second best on the squad. Penney played 1,119 minutes this season, second most in school history.

— compiled from staff reports