Day three: Police remove encampment on Library Mall, but protesters remain

Removal comes on third straight day of demonstration
Paige Valley
Police move in on the encampment on Library Mall. May 1, 2024.

The encampment demonstration on the University of Wisconsin campus continued Wednesday despite the removal of over 30 tents by law enforcement in the morning. Throughout the day, the crowd of protesters grew to the largest it had been since the demonstration began Monday.

This is a developing story. See live updates below.

11:26 p.m.

Organizers are leading demonstrators in singing “Solidarity Forever.” Protesters are peacefully gathered in groups around Library Mall. Police presence outside the encampment is minimal. The Badger Herald will resume live reporting at 6:30 a.m.

— Reported by Editor-in-Chief Celia Hiorns.

10:34 p.m.

An organizer encouraged demonstrators to arrive to the encampment at 7 a.m., since law enforcement was present at that time this morning, though they said they do not know when police will return. The organizer said the protesters will not leave until their demands have been heard.

— Reported by Print News Editor Blake Thor.

10:23 p.m.

Encampment demonstrators have started singing “Leve Palestina,” a song in Swedish that means “Long Live Palestine.”

10:06 p.m.

An organizer of the pro-Israel demonstration is giving closing remarks. The organizer said UW refused to abide by protest policies by allowing the encampment to stand. The organizer said they have started a fundraiser in support of Israel.

The organizer is leading demonstrators in the Jewish Shema prayer before leaving Library Mall.

— Reported by Contributing Author Brody Killoren and News Associate Editor Margaret Shreiner.

9:56 p.m.

Encampment demonstrators have started the final prayer of the day, Isha. Protesters are interlocking arms and have encircled those participating in the prayer to prevent interference.

— Reported by Editor-in-Chief Celia Hiorns.

9:50 p.m.

UW senior Yuval Lerman, one of the students who has joined the pro-Israel demonstration, expressed frustration over the ongoing encampment in Library Mall.

“We’re not trying to be civilly disobedient,” Lerman said. “We’re complying with police [and we have] been in touch with police.”

— Reported by Senior Staff Member Abigail Leavins.

9:48 p.m.

The Associated Students of Madison, UW’s student government, released a statement around 9:20 p.m. condemning law enforcement’s actions against the encampment Wednesday morning. The statement emphasized its support of students’ free expression rights and denounced violence against students.

“ASM applauds our students for standing up for what they believe in and advocates for their right to protest peacefully,” the statement said.

The statement also condemned the use of Memorial Union as a holding space for demonstrators who were arrested this morning, calling for amnesty and academic flexibility for protesters.

9:46 p.m.

Volunteers from the encampment demonstration have begun positioning themselves between pro-Palestine and Jewish pro-Israel demonstrators to prevent the groups from interacting.

9:43 p.m.

Jewish students, some of whom are holding Israel flags, have started chanting in Hebrew.

9:38 p.m.

Palestinian demonstrators have started reciting the names of people who have been killed in Gaza.

Pro-Palestine protesters have gathered near Memorial Library in Library Mall. May 1, 2024. (Abigail Leavins)

9:30 p.m.

Pro-Palestine protesters are singing “I am not afraid” in the encampment. The group has shifted the gathering closer to the Memorial Library side of Library Mall.

9:25 p.m.

UW student Erica Davis organized with other Jewish students to come stand on Library Mall. Davis said the pro-Israel demonstrators were not part of any particular organization.

“We want to come together as Jewish community,” Davis said. “We’re here to say that we’re strong and we’re here to stay.”

The group has grown to at least 90.

Jewish students started a demonstration in Library Mall next to the pro-Palestine encampment demonstrators Wednesday evening. May 1, 2024. (Paige Valley)

9:21 p.m.

Jewish students are chanting “Bring them home.”

9:20 p.m.

“They [pro-Israel demonstrators] might be partying over there but they can’t stop us,” a pro-Palestine demonstrator said. “The police couldn’t stop us earlier.”

9:18 p.m.

Pro-Palestine protesters have started chanting, “We want justice, you say how, answer our demands now.”

9:13 p.m.

Pro-Palestine protesters have formed a circle around a group of people performing Dabke, a traditional Palestinian dance. The group has gathered closer to the Wisconsin Historical Society side of Library Mall and members are cheering and clapping.

— Reported by News Associate Editor Margaret Shreiner.

9:05 p.m.

When asked their purpose for gathering on Library Mall, an individual identifying as Jewish said the group was not intending to counter-protest, but to make their community’s presence on campus known. The group has grown to more than 60.

9 p.m.

A group of about 30 to 40 students holding seven Israeli flags has gathered on the Wisconsin Historical Society side of Library Mall. Some are also holding signs and the group has started playing music from a speaker.

8:40 p.m.

Organizers announced a Palestinian musician will play and asked protesters to invite other local Palestinian musicians to perform at the demonstration.

8:23 p.m.

The sunset prayer, Maghrib, has begun. Other protesters are surrounding those praying to block potential interruption and interference.

— Reported by Managing Editor Cat Carroll.

7:46 p.m.

Volunteers from the Madison-Rafah Sister City program are in attendance holding a light-up sign that says “Free Gaza.” One member, Barbara Olson, said the group has used the signs in the past.

“We have had these signs for a long time, and we periodically go to overpasses and different places to display them,” Olson said. “We brought them down here in solidarity with the protests.”

Also in attendance is Brad Geyer from Veterans for Peace. His message was, “I want to stop the violence.”

— Reported by Contributing Author Brody Killoren and Staff Writer Emma Kozina.

7:42 p.m.

Many protesters are sitting on the Library Mall lawn eating food from “The People’s Kitchen.” An organizer, who requested anonymity, said the kitchen was possible thanks to the Madison community.

“I don’t think we spent a single cent on food, the Madison community has been absolutely unbelievable in terms of food,” the organizer said. “I don’t believe there is anybody who is part of anything in any capacity who isn’t volunteering their time. I want to thank the Madison community for the amazing support.”

The organizer added that they hope more people come to the encampment early Thursday morning.

7:40 p.m.

Demonstrators are beginning to play live music in the center of Library Mall. Other protesters are sitting peacefully on the lawn.

6:49 p.m.

A group comprised of 14 UW faculty and staff members, mostly in the English department, stands on Library Mall among the protesters. Some are dressed in university regalia.

One member, who wished to remain anonymous, said “We hope as [the protest] continues, more faculty will come out.”

Associate professor of English Laia Amie added, “All the faculty I have talked to today are outraged, absolutely viscerally outraged.”

Another member of the group, Kate Vieira, a professor in the School of Education, expressed her disappointment in the university’s response, pointing to how some faculty sustained physical force this morning.

“One was choked, one was manhandled,” Vieira said. “We’re here to protect the students’ right to protest, this is absolutely insane. The response by Chancellor Mnookin was inadequate, and misrepresenting [of] what was happening on the ground.”

6:05 p.m.

About 20 members of the Revolutionist Communists of America arrived at the encampment after rallying at the Capitol.

— Reported by Managing Editor Sophia Scolman.

5:55 p.m.

“I am very proud of all of you, but particularly the students,” Alatout said, addressing the protesters. “It’s not about what happened today, but you have been essential for my understanding of myself, for the world that I hope is livable, or the world that I hope and all of you probably hope to live in.”

“I think what you did in the last two days, building community, connecting with one another as humans … you showed everyone how an alternative world, a new world can be build based on feelings of support, of love, of connection,” Alatout continued. “I only wish the administration was brave enough to come and see you, to come and meet you.”

“The administration is not the university, it is part of the university,” he said. “We are all the university.”

5:46 p.m.

An organizer said students have faced challenges in trying to set up a meeting with Mnookin, but that she agreed to meet with them tomorrow.

“What we need from you all, is to continue showing up,” the organizer said.

A UW faculty member then said faculty and staff have been advocating on behalf of students.

5:36 p.m.

Addressing the protesters at Library Mall, a lead organizer said, “We’re here because Chancellor Mnookin would rather call the cops than talk to students, we’re here because Dean of Students Christina Olstad would also rather call the cops than talk to students. The chancellor has the power to meet with us and meet our demands, she has the power to take action, but is refusing to do so.”

The organizer then read the protesters’ demands, adding that the movement has grown since law enforcement’s presence this morning.

The crowd at the Library Mall encampment is the largest it has been since the demonstration began Monday.

5:27 p.m.

Some faculty protesters from the demonstration at the Capitol have arrived at Library Mall.  On the way here, the were chanting “Hands of our students, hands off Gaza.” The crowd at Library Mall is now chanting as the Capitol protesters arrive.

5:09 p.m. Protesters head from Capitol to Library Mall encampment

An organizer from the Revolutionary Communists of America demonstration, where 30 pro-Palestine protesters are gathered at the Wisconsin Capitol Building, told reporters that they are heading to the encampment at Library Mall once speakers have finished addressing the audience.

Around 25 UW faculty members are gathered at the Capitol are on their way to the encampment as well.

Demonstrators gather at the Capitol before heading to the Library Mall encampment. May 1, 2024. (Bennett Waara)

4:56 p.m.

Three demonstrators who were rallying at Dane County Jail are heading down State Street, towards the encampment at Library Mall.

4:31 p.m.

Fifteen protesters at the Dane County Jail are continuing to chant, calling for the release of those who were arrested this morning. Demonstrators are chanting, “Free the people, free them all, break the chains and let them fall.”

4:19 p.m.

Hong posted on the social media platform X expressing disappointment with the “excessive use of force” by police earlier today.

“The events that unfolded this morning were unwarranted and disproportionate,” Hong’s post said. “Reports of students and community members sustaining injuries, torn clothing, and a lack of regard for safety are deeply concerning. The fundamental right to peaceful protest, protected by the First Amendment, should never be met with such forceful measures.”

— Reported by Managing Editor Sophia Scolman.

4:12 p.m. 

Two counter-protesters, including David Skadron who was present at the demonstration on Monday, are walking through the encampment carrying signs. Protesters are standing, facing the counter-protesters.

— Reported by Managing Editor Cat Carroll.

3:56 p.m.

The protesters who headed to the Dane County Jail rally from Library Mall have arrived.

3:46 p.m.

UWPD released the names of the four protesters who were booked at the Dane County Jail this morning. One of the individuals on the list is affiliated with UW.

3:43 p.m.

Five protesters have departed Library Mall and are walking to the Dane County Jail rally. The protesters were chanting as they walked.

3:25 p.m.

Library Mall encampment organizers called for five to 10 protesters to head towards the rally. At the time of this update, 11 demonstrators were at the rally, using pots and pans to make noise.

— Reported by Associate News Editor Aiden Mellon and Print News Editor Blake Thor.

Protesters rally outside of the Dane County Jail. May 1, 2024. (Bennett Waara)

3:11 p.m.

Three protesters were present at the beginning of the Dane County Jail rally.

3:08 p.m.

Demonstrators are setting up a tent to cover a portion of the tables where organizers are distributing food. There are about 20 demonstrators lining up for food. SJP’s schedule says there is a general meeting taking place at 4 p.m.

2:19 p.m.

The counter-protester has moved towards the center of Library Mall. Protesters are blocking their sign with umbrellas and a Palestinian flag.

2:05 p.m.

Event organizers hosted a teach-in for protesters about labor issues in Palestine, for a crowd of about 80 listeners. The teacher said students should consider their identities as workers while they are engaging in demonstrations. The speaker said Palestinians in Gaza are experiencing poor working conditions in industries like agriculture and construction.

“I invite you to think, when you think about your own working conditions and your own organizing, to think about how to organize beyond the walls of the place that you’re in,” the speaker said.

Organizers also advised demonstrators to be mindful of their possessions, because they may be moved or discarded if police return to the encampment to remove tents. The speaker said demonstrators should avoid bringing extra supplies to Library Mall for this reason.

At 3 p.m., a rally is set to take place at the Dane County Jail, the organizer said.

1:33 p.m.

The midday prayer, Dhuhr, has begun. Demonstrators are surrounding those who are praying to prevent potential interference.

1:23 p.m.

A counter-protester with a sign is standing on the steps of the Memorial Library exit on Library Mall, holding a sign and engaging with a few pro-Palestine protesters.

1:16 p.m.

Chants have ended and demonstrators are sitting on the grass across Library Mall. Then next programmed event, a teach-in about labor issues, is set to begin at 2 p.m.

12:18 p.m.

Protesters have begun chanting on Library Mall.

12:15 p.m.

UW System President Jay Rothman issued a statement regarding enforcement on the UW–Madison campus. In the statement, Rothman said the free exchange of ideas through dialogue is a “hallmark” of the UW System.

Rothman said the UW System is committed to supporting free speech rights, while also upholding policy and ensuring safety.

“UW–Madison took action to ensure compliance with applicable law and in fulfillment of its commitment to all students and the campus community,” Rothman said in the statement. “I commend Chancellor Jennifer Mnookin for her reasonableness and resolve, as well as her commitment to free expression and the safety and security of her students.”

12:08 p.m.

In a press release, SJP UW–Madison said law enforcement arrived at the encampment this morning while students were sleeping. The organization expressed their disagreement with both the presence of law enforcement this morning, and UW’s statement in response.

“This is a blatant attempt to intimidate us, but we stand strong and are committed to our right to protest,” SJP UW–Madison said in the release.

The statement said the encampment has been re-established, and organizers plan to continue with “educational and peaceful community-oriented programming.”

12:04 p.m.

The press release from UW was updated to include arrest and citation numbers. A total of 34 people were arrested, with the majority not receiving a citation.

Four of the people arrested were booked into the Dane County Jail on offenses including “attempted disarming a police officer, resisting arrest (x2), and attempted escape; battery to a police officer; battery to a police officer and resisting arrest; and battery to a police officer.”

11:55 a.m.

UW community and environmental sociology professor Samer Alatout, who is Palestinian, was among the professors who received a citation this morning. He said he was hit by officers’ shields and has two cuts on his face.

Over the past few months, Alatout has been working with and supporting both the UW administration and students. Alatout said he feels disappointed in the university’s response this morning.

“I hope they [UW administrators] are willing to negotiate with good faith and trying to understand what kind of demands there are, how to achieve them, or achieve some of them, and what to do,” Alatout said.

— Reported by Contributing Writer Haia Al Zein.

11:40 a.m.

The statement in solidarity with the student protesters now has 1,800 signatures from UW faculty, staff, alumni and donors.

11:29 a.m.

Protesters continue to put up more tents and rebuild the encampment. There are now 16 tents present on Library Mall.

— Reported by Digital News Editor Brianna Davis.

11:06 a.m.

In a statement, UW student and District 8 Ald. MGR Govindarajan expressed disappointment in the use of police force on Library Mall this morning.

“The actions seen this morning were beyond what was necessary,” Govindarajan said in the statement. “I’ve heard of both students and community members bleeding, clothes being torn, with safety being just an afterthought.”

Govindarajan, who has been on site since since the demonstration began Monday, said college campuses should remain a space for students to freely express ideas.

“The chilling effect from today’s actions will leave a stain on UW’s legacy,” Govindarajan said in the statement.

10:56 a.m.

In an email sent to all UW students and employees, Chancellor Jennifer Mnookin emphasized the priority of maintaining campus safety. She said protesters were given the opportunity to move away from the encampment prior to police engagement. Mnookin said approximately 30 protesters were cited and others were arrested for resisting police action to remove tents, or otherwise interfering with the operation.

Mnookin stated she values engagement in free expression and peaceful protest, and said “students and others are free to resume peaceful protest that abides by campus protest guidelines today or at any time in the future.” She added that she understands particular student groups on campus may feel unheard.

“The role of campus leadership is not to take sides in national and international debates, or to make special allowances for particular points of view, but to ensure that all participants in campus life have access to university resources for learning and growth,” Mnookin said in the statement.

10:54 a.m.

In an email statement, Lovicott said four police officers were injured, along with three Dane County deputies. Lovicott said the injuries were “all directly related to the physical resistance from protesters.” He added that one State Patrol trooper sustained injuri

es after being struck in the head with a skateboard.

10:50 a.m.

On Library Mall, organizers are handing out pamphlets titled “Militant Street Tactics: Pushing and Pulling.” The pamphlets detail various safety protocols.

10:43 a.m.

Protesters are putting up six more tents, bringing the total number of tents present on Library Mall to eight.

10:25 a.m.

Organizers announced that a meditation and grounding session would be held on one of the grassy areas on Library Mall at 10:30 a.m.

10:14 a.m.

UW released an update on the encampment in Library Mall Wednesday morning. The update emphasized Chapter 18 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code which prohibits tents and camping on university property.

“UW–Madison values free expression and has consistently supported those who exercise their rights, within the boundaries of law and campus policies,” the update said.

The update also said campus will remain open and that there is no safety threat. UWPD will remain on the scene.

10:13 a.m.

Dahlia Saba, a first year graduate student and member of Students for Justice in Palestine, said the protesters are angry and upset at the way police officers treated students and members of the Madison community when breaking up the encampment.

Saba said they are prepared to continue fighting for what they believe in if the police do return.

9:59 a.m.

Protesters have repitched tents. There are two that have been moved to the Memorial Library side of Library Mall.

9:44 a.m.

The Young Democratic Socialists of America UW–Madison and SJP shared a joint Instagram post about a bail fund created for protesters who have been arrested.

9:36 a.m.

A group of demonstrators left the encampment and are gathered at the foot of Bascom Hill.

9:30 a.m.

UW spokesperson Kelly Tyrrell said that as of 9 a.m. officers have officially demobilized and have left the scene. Tyrrell said at least a dozen arrests were made since officers moved in on the encampment at 7:15 a.m.

UWPD executive director of communications Marc Lovicott said the repercussions those arrested face is dependent on which policies they violated. Lovicott said information about arrests will be made available later. Some UWPD officers will remain on scene to ensure public safety, including the safety of the protesters.

Lovicott added that he was unable to confirm whether students will be suspended for their actions at the demonstration.

9:27 a.m.

A lead organizer stands before the crowd, saying “we still have three tents left and we’re getting more.”

9:09 a.m.

“We remain steadfast,” the lead organizer said. Protesters are making plans to rebuild the encampment.

9:05 a.m.

Protesters remain encircled around what is left of one last tent. A truck and trailer is carrying away tents and other supplies east on Langdon Street. Police have left Library Mall.

9:02 a.m.

Police appear to be retreating toward Langdon Street and College Library.

9:01 a.m.

The remaining tent has been flattened but not taken by the police.

8:54 a.m.

Members of faculty are being arrested. Demonstrators are moving back to increase presence around remaining tent.

8:53 a.m.

State Rep. Francesca Hong (D-Madison) is present. Two tents remain.

8:50 a.m.

The crowd of demonstrators, which has now stood back up, is growing. Police are moving in quickly and more protesters are being arrested and taken to the ground.

8:48 a.m.

SJP UW–Madison created a call-to-action on Instagram around 8:45 a.m. asking people to call Chancellor Jennifer Mnoookin, Dean of Students Christina Olstad and Interim UWPD Chief Brent Plisch and ask for all charges against students to be dropped. At the time of this update, The Badger Herald could not independently verify whether arrested students were being charged.

8:45 a.m.

Protesters have begun chanting, “What do you protect? Who do you serve?”

8:39 a.m.

SJP UW–Madison is livestreaming on Instagram from inside the circle of protesters. There are currently 516 viewers.

8:37 a.m.

MPD is removing tents and supplies that were placed outside Memorial Library near the bike racks.

8:34 a.m.

Demonstrators are now sitting on the grass and concrete where they were encircling the remaining tents and continue to chant.

8:33 a.m.

Protesters are chanting “We want justice, we want it now. Un-suspend our students nows.” At the time of this update, The Badger Herald could not independently verify whether or not students have been suspended.

8:32 a.m.

Demonstrators are moving to surround the police on three sides except for the Langdon Street side, which is where tents and supplies are being collected.

8:31 a.m.

One demonstrator is holding a sign that says “Faculty in support of students’ right to protest.”

8:30 a.m.

MPD and UWPD officers are walking away with tents, tarps and protesters’ belongings.

8:26 a.m.

Protesters are chanting, “Students, students stand your ground. MPD back down. Students, students stand your ground. State Patrol back down.” “Free, free Palestine.” “Disclose, divest, we will not stop, we will not rest.” There are 30 to 40 demonstrators maintaining a perimeter around three last tents.

8:22 a.m.

MPD officers have started dragging tents into one pile on the lawn. Three tents remain.

8:19 a.m.

Seven more Madison Police Department officers have arrived. Those who have been arrested are starting to be removed from the encampment and brought toward Memorial Union.

8:17 a.m.

Chanting has stopped.

8:16 a.m.

“We did not expect this to happen in the morning at all, we expected this last night,” one protester said.

People who are being arrested are sitting on the ground, but have not yet been moved because of the surrounding crowd.

Police stand around the encampment on Library Mall. Protesters who have been arrested are sitting on the ground. May 1, 2024. (Brianna Davis)

8:15 a.m.

Some officers are blocking demonstrators in front of what used to be the community kitchen on the State Street side of the encampment.

8:14 a.m. 

Legal observers from the National Lawyers Guild are present and protesters are writing legal hotlines on their arms.

8:11 a.m.

Students for Justice in Palestine UW–Madison called for protesters to join at Library Mall, saying “ALL OUT RIGHT NOW,” in an Instagram post shortly before 8 a.m.

8:09 a.m.

Two tents remain and police are creating a perimeter around what was the rest of the encampment.

8:08 a.m.

At least seven protesters have been arrested.

8:07 a.m.

Police officers are coming around the State Street side of the encampment to remove tents.

8:03 a.m.

Protesters continue to chant “Push them back, push them back.”

7:58 a.m.

Police have started moving into the encampment and protesters are screaming and resisting. After the initial push by police into the encampment that was encircled by protesters, they took down one to tents, and protesters gained ground pushing back against the line of police in the direction of Memorial Union.

7:54 a.m.

Over 50 officers are present on Library Mall. Some are holding shields.

7:47 a.m.

Officers from the University of Wisconsin Police Department, the Wisconsin State Patrol and the Dane County Sheriff’s Office are dragging tents and other supplies into a van attached to a pickup truck on the Langdon Street side of the encampment. Protesters are standing, linking arms around the remaining tents.