Benefits of local food explained

LocalFood_SG
Executive Chef Tory Miller of the local restaurant L\’Etoile talks about the importance of buying locally.[/media-credit]

Local farmers, restaurant owners and the Dane County Farmers’ Market manager revealed the benefits of consuming local food to students and faculty Thursday.

The event was inspired by the University of Wisconsin’s “Go Big Read” program that brought author Michael Pollan to campus earlier this year, encouraging the Madison community to put more thought into what they consume.

“Our food choices influence not only our health, but also the quality of the environment,” said Lara Peschke, a UW senior and event organizer. “When you are buying food locally, you aren’t having growers inject chemicals into your food to make it last longer.”

One of the featured panelists was Larry Johnson, manager of the Dane County Farmers’ Market. He said the market is a great way to get fresh, quality food.

“Our farmers’ market is reported to be the largest producer-only farmers’ market in the country,” Johnson said. “The food available is tasty, fresh and has less waste.”

Maria Davis, program coordinator for the Research, Education, Action and Policy on Food Group, works primarily with restaurants that want to incorporate local foods in their menus as part of the “Buy Fresh Buy Local” program.

Davis said restaurants offering local foods in the Madison area range from high-end restaurants to caf?s.

“There are currently 27 restaurants in the Madison area that buy from local farmers and incorporate the food in their menus,” Davis said.

One of the participating restaurants in the buy local program is L’Etoile. Chef and owner Tory Miller spoke on the panel to promote supporting local farmers and their efforts. Miller said delicious food starts with where it’s from.

In addition to using local food on his menu, Miller is working with the Madison School District to change the food available to students at all levels.

Peschke said finding speakers for the panel was interesting. Knowing the farmers’ market was a great way to buy local foods in this area, Peschke said she knew she wanted to get a representative from the market. From there, she networked and found other speakers who worked to promote supporting local farmers.

Jessica Kozlowski, a UW senior, said she has an interest in buying local food and works at the Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems.

“I think it’s always interesting to hear from farmers directly because sometimes they are the people that you don’t have as much access to,” Kozlowski said.

Kozlowski is studying community and environment sociology, and goes to the farmers’ market almost every week.

“I know how to cook and where to get quality food, but many students don’t know where to get local food from,” Kozlowski said.

Peschke said it’s important for students to support these initiatives, help farmers and support the idea of education of local food because they are the next generation of activists.

“It is important for us to know, given that we are young adults getting closer to entering the workforce and becoming more productive members of society,” Peschke said. “We can have a huge impact.”