Martin to tackle economic challenges

University of Wisconsin Chancellor Biddy Martin wants to bring the campus community together to discuss the current state budget crisis and possible solutions for the university.

Martin said at a Faculty Senate meeting Monday she will hold three forums regarding the crisis to discuss how things could be done differently at UW.

Martin said she hopes UW can serve as a leader for other universities in what she called not “just a short-term issue.”

Martin said she sees the opportunity of addressing current troubles as a chance to “try and seize opportunities to be innovative” — something she said research universities will have to do in the changing times of the 21st century.

“We don’t have any bigger problems than any other universities right now,” Martin said. “We just need to think a little bit outside the box.”

Martin said the forums will help faculty and staff brainstorm “how to be imaginative” during these times.

Gov. Jim Doyle estimates the state budget will have a deficit of approximately $5.4 billion dollars for the 2009-11 years.

Approximately 28.6 percent of UW’s revenue is from federal funding, the largest percentage of UW support provided by any one type of funding. About 87 percent of tuition and state revenue at the university goes toward salaries and fringes for faculty and staff.

With these numbers in mind, Martin said decreasing revenue would have “a real human impact,” since much of the state revenue directly affects faculty and staff salaries.

Martin stressed the forums, which will take place Dec. 15, 16 and 17 in various locations across campus, will not be asking faculty to make decisions on budget cuts.

She added UW was looking at “how to do things better, not who should be cut.”

In other senate business, senate member and professor of general administration agriculture and applied economics Ann Hoyt presented the 2011-16 academic calendar for approval. Some changes had been made to the calendar since Hoyt first presented it during the November meeting.

The calendar, which was approved by the senate, now includes the Islamic holiday Eid al-Adha and a note to professors that conflicts may occur for religious observances other than those identified in the calendar.

Associate Vice Chancellor Aaron Brower presented “Essential Learning Outcomes” and the “Wisconsin Idea Framework” which were put together by various organizations on campus.

This framework seeks to “develop some language to talk about what is unique and special about the university’s mission,” and to identify what it is about UW that makes its graduates successful, Brower said.

Brower stressed the framework was not meant to restrict professors.

“It’s not a way to sneak in requirements … (or) try to standardize learning,” Brower said.

Brower said it is important to develop this language further.

“If we don’t get serious about our own assessments, others will start doing the assessing for us,” Brower said.