State lawmakers criticize UW building projects

Proposed building projects across the University of Wisconsin System received criticism from the state's budget committee Wednesday, with some legislators calling for more renovation and less construction. The projects, including six at UW-Madison, were first approved by the State Building Commission and must be approved by the Joint Finance Committee for inclusion into the state's operating budget. Two UW chancellors and UW System President Kevin Reilly testified in favor of the projects, which total $775 million. Most proposals request state bonds rather than grants to finance the individual projects. Calling the projects critical for recruitment, Reilly cited a 2005 national survey in which 74 percent of students said facilities related to their major are "extremely important" or "very important" in choosing a college. "These data illustrate a basic truth — that the quality of facilities where students live and learn is an important part of their educational experience," Reilly said. Members of UW-Madison's Student Union Initiative, which promotes the remodeling of Union South and Memorial Union, also testified in favor of the budget. In addition to the unions, UW-Madison would also gain funding to pursue the remodeling of a dormitory, and the construction of two academic buildings and new dormitories on the lakeshore. The projects are expected to cost $320 million. Several legislators questioned the proposals for new construction, noting a Legislative Fiscal Bureau report that said close to $1 billion is requested for backlogged maintenance and repair issues. "Seems to me that … before I add on the nice sun room, I would make the decision to make sure the roof doesn't leak," said state Rep. Robin Vos, R-Racine. "I would think that our priority would definitely be maintenance and repair." Building Commission Secretary Rob Cramer said that due to a surge in university building projects in the 1960s, many facilities are requiring investment in maintenance. In certain situations, he added, new construction is necessary. "In some cases, where the program needs of the university have changed, the buildings are not flexible enough to accommodate the new programs," Cramer said. "We have to look at replacing the facility … and building new buildings that are better suited for the way higher education operates today." Senate President Fred Risser, D-Madison, said most UW System projects were once funded entirely by the Building Commission budget. However, he added that the system has done a "fantastic job" recently in raising private funds to finance many of its costs. By far the single-most contested project Wednesday was the replacement or remodeling of UW-Eau Claire's Davies Center, which would become the university's new student union. Since the project would increase student segregated fees and failed to pass in two official student referendums, legislators questioned whether the project has really earned the support of students. The project was approved after the results of a university-initiated online survey supported the increased fees. Vos called the survey one-sided and said it should not replace student government as a gauge of student opinion. UW-Eau Claire Student Senate President Ray French defended the project, saying he is confident students support the project and are willing to help finance it.