Wolves at the Door for DeLay

One of the most prolific fundraisers for the Republican National Party and polemical politicians just got a few steps closer to scandal land. Is that even a real metaphor?

Rep. Tom DeLay, a well-known player on the national scene and one known for pulling no punches in national politics had aides indicted for ethics and money laundering charges in Texas. Illegally funnelling money from corporate contributions to the RNC and then telling the RNC who and how to distribute them is the accusation by a Houston prosecutor (one who is a Democrat, in Houston (!?)).

What does this have to do with the national election? The PAC that DeLay’s people ran was called, transparently enough, Texans for Republican Majority, and the money they illegally raised and sent to the RNC was to be sent back to Texas Republicans running for the state legislature. Remember the Texan Democrats fleeing to New Mexico to keep their state from being redistricted? It was redistricted because Republicans retook the state legislature and now it appears their electoral victory is smeared with the taint of illegally raised money.

So Texas secures itself a Republican majority in the state for Congressional districts and freezes out many Democratic voters who now don’t necessarily vote because they don’t think it makes a difference in their district.

The ethics investigation against DeLay in the House regarding this same issue is getting new life from the indictments in Houston.

Maybe when the financial and ideological leadership of the Republican House is finally called to the carpet we’ll expose their hypocrisy and corruption. Yeah, that’s gonna happen.

Here’s to DeLay going down hard.