The neglected pleasures of the receptive condom

Ahhh, the receptive condom–an often neglected tool in the repertoire of sexual health supplies. Some love it, others hate it. I’ma be real with you, the receptive condom is not the most user-friendly of safer sex supply options out there. It takes a bit of practice and getting used to. But once mastered, the receptive condom has definitely got some game over the commonly-used insertive condom. Read further for a list of stand-out pros of the receptive condom.

1. It can be inserted up to 8 hours before. Wow! Think of the potential! This means if you wake up feeling super smokin’ and just have an inkling that today’s the day to get laid, you could pop this bad boy in, take a shower, go to work, go to class, meet your study buddy later and take a study break, and WA-BAM! The condom is already in place. You’re good to go and don’t have to fumble around to play the who-has-the-condom game. This can make for that longed for, roll-right-into-it spontaneous sex.
  2. In theory, it provides more protection against contact spread STIs like herpes and HPV.
    Now this isn’t proven, but in theory, the receptive condom provides more protection against contact spread STIs like herpes and HPV because of the added material that lies on the external genitalia. An extra bonus for those concerned with the high prevalence of these STIs!
  3. It’s made out of polyurethane.
    So, good news for people with latex allergies! Even some people without latex allergies prefer the feel of polyurethane because it is more conducive to transferring body heat.
  4. It’s got some added pleasure features.
    Some penises like to complain that the ring around the base of the insertive condom is too tight and causes them to lose their erections — which sounds like a shitty excuse not to use a condom to me. With the receptive condom, there’s less justification for this! No restricting ring = no boner loss. The only tightness you will feel is the tightness of your partner 😉 Also — in an initiative to improve safer sex practices in sub-Saharan Africa, a research team distributed the receptive condom for use by female participants. Interestingly enough, their male partners gave the most positive feedback, saying they were a fan of the “pleasure bump” they felt when their penis heads rubbed against the inner ring of the condom.
  5. Aunt Flo no longer puts a damper on your sex life.
    Of course, you never have to stop having sex for a whole week out of the month just because of a little period blood. But if you do mind the mess, try popping a receptive condom in. The blood will stay inside of the body without causing a mess so you can thrust away.

There you have it! Convinced? Stop by the Sex Out Loud office or Campus Women Center for free samples of the receptive condom!