TOMS Entrepreneur, Blake Mycoskie, shares his story

For entrepreneur Blake Mycoskie, the concept was simple: Sell a pair of shoes today, give a pair of shoes tomorrow. It was this straightforward idea, and a trip to Argentina where Mycoskie realized the increasing need for children’s shoes, that inspired him to start the shoe-company, TOMS, where he now resides as the chief shoe giver. In his new book, “Start Something That Matters,” Mycoskie outlines his experience with TOMS, and starting a company that was charity-based. 

When Mycoskie began the program, he had an initial 250 pairs of TOMS. After many media outlets, including the Los Angeles times, released stories about the company, orders quickly piled up, and the company found nothing but success. 

As promised by the company, for every pair of shoes bought, a pair was donated, specifically to less fortunate children in South America and Africa. After they sold 10,000 pairs of shoes, the group completed their first shoe drop in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and traveled to other areas throughout the country. For Mycoskie, the experience was very worthwhile, and for the first time, he understood the expression “tears of joy.”

However, the purpose of this book is not to explain the TOMS story, or even Mycoskie’s story, but to persuade readers that they too can “start something that matters.” Mycoskie does this by outlining six steps readers can take to start a change: find your story, face your fears, be resourceful without resources, keep it simple, building trust, and understanding that giving is a good business.

The goal of Mycoskie’s writing seemed a bit skeptical. How could Mycoskie think that he could translate his experiences into a formula for others to achieve success? However, Mycoskie does an excellent job laying down the groundwork for each step, then allowing readers to continue their own journey based on his suggestions. 

His suggestions are also applicable to any person that wanted to start a change, specifically a person of any education level or social class standing. His steps require people to have determination, a good attitude, and heart. If everyone approached opportunities with motivation, Mycoskie is very insistent people would achieve success.

Chapters detailing steps on how to achieve success could make a rather dry book, but Mycoskie manages to make it entertaining by including the success stories of other entrepreneurs as tools for inspiration. In fact, one story he explains is about Pam Mycoskie, Blake’s mother, and her struggle to publish the popular nutrition book, Butter Busters

When Mycoskie finishes his story, and offering suggestions, he makes it clear that now he wants to hear the reader’s story. He hopes this book is part of every reader’s tool kit as they strive to make a difference in the world, and Mycoskie is very interested in hearing everyone’s achievements. Mycoskie even started a website that allows readers to share their stories of success. 

“Start Something That Matters” is a quick, easy read, but is worthwhile for anyone wanting to leave a positive mark on the world. Blake Mycoskie’s story and advice offers a sense of direction for anyone wanting to start, but not exactly sure of the first step. Mycoskie makes it clear we all have the power and capability of making a difference, it’s just a matter of having the confidence to take a step forward.