The Antlers and Phantogram Energize the High Noon

A concert this past Sunday proved antlers aren’t just for fighting and invented musical genres can entertain just as well as traditional categories. April 18th The Antlers headlined a concert at the High Noon with the upstart duo Phantogram as the openers. The concert dispelled any ideas that patrons had for a ‘day of rest.’

Not many people have heard of the duo Phantogram, who hail from New York. Sarah D. Barthel and Joshua M. Carter self-define their style as ‘street beat’ and is currently one of the only groups practicing the genre. Phantogram elevates wispy vocals and synthesizer lines to a new level. Playing favorites like “Mouthful of Diamonds” and “When I’m Small,” Phantogram performed just as fantastically live as their CD “Eyelid Movies” predicted. The group’s energy was infectious as they charmed the audience with their mix, instrumental, and vocal skills. Phantogram in concert demonstrates they deserve every second of radio playtime they receive from such indie stations like 89.3 based out of the Twin Cities in Minnesota.

The Antlers focused on content from their latest CD “Hospice.” With only three members, Peter Silberman, Michael Lerner, and Darby Cicci, The Antlers also verified that less is more. Their most recent CD features somewhat somber, introspective, and emotional content. In concert, The Antlers infused power into their material not present on the CD. The Antlers offered variance from their album with alternate guitar lines and transitions between songs that ranged from haunting to raw. Appearing for an encore, The Antlers treated the audience to an XX cover. The Antlers will continue their tour throughout the United States and Europe. Indie music fans can only hope both bands will be back soon.