Comedic offerings of Madison

Shadowed in the colossal magnificence of the Overture Center, in the basement of 202 State is the “Comedy Club on State.” The only club in Madison, this amenable hideaway is often overlooked by cultural grants such as the Orpheum Theatre and the Capitol in addition to the Overture Center.

A staircase welcomes you at the entrance, leading you downstairs to a lounge and bar area, followed by the club proper. For those of age, the bar is a popular pre-show relaxation area. To seat you at your table, a friendly receptionist greets you at the seating area to check for identification and to mark hands if you are under 21.

The club enjoys considerable popularity, especially on Friday and Saturday nights, so it is highly recommended to place a reservation by phone call beforehand. A person must be 18 years of age to enter the club, but one does not need to be of drinking age.

Every Thursday night the club hosts a college night, providing cheaper tickets for college students. While tickets normally range from $8-10, College Nights have an admission of $2 plus an additional two drink minimum. However, students must be prepared to show proof that they are a student to receive the discount.

After presenting identification to the receptionist, customers are led into the modest and comfortable showroom. Tables for two to four are stationed strategically throughout the room. The club can also accommodate large parties, boasting leather booths and oversized tables. These are especially popular for those 21st birthday parties.

Before the show begins, customers are greeted with friendly service from all wait-staff, answering any questions and fulfilling every request. Shortly after arriving at your table, someone will ask for your order and promptly deliver your first drink.

The menu at the club provides a wide variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. The club is creative with their menu, providing drinks such as Strawberry Dream, a fruity, creamy smoothie that will satisfy any sweet tooth need. Although a two-drink minimum is required for those under 21, non-alcoholic drinks run at the fair price of $5 or less.

Overall, the atmosphere is how they describe it on their website: intimate. Lighting is dimmed throughout the room to provide that hospitable ambiance. While waiting for the show to begin, one can enjoy the relaxing and subdued background music playing throughout the room. However, due to the presence of the music, with the addition of side conversations, the club may not be the best location for a serious conversation.