Nick nice, house internationalist

Although there are many DJs across Madison, on of them stands out quite nicely- DJ Nick Nice, a Midwest native who has an intense passion for music, performing, and making people dance.

For Nice, listening to music from an early age was what really got him interested in DJing.

“I’ve been buying records since I was a little kid so it was only natural that I’d get into doing something with them,” Nice said. “So I started by doing tapes for friends in middle school and then doing house parties in high school […] Eventually it led to more serious house parties when I was in college here at UW.”

His junior year, Nice traveled abroad in Paris, taking a year off from DJing. “That entire experience of being there and being a part of those parties, clubs, record shops & DJ scene was life-changing. It made me realize that while I was enjoying my com arts/film degree, DJing was what I really wanted to do,” Nice said.

On his return to Wisconsin, he and DJing partner Nat ‘King’ Soul threw one of the first raves in the country, getting their followings from various house parties and frat parties together to enjoy some underground hip-hop, house, and techno. Eventually, he moved back to Paris to try to make it as a full time DJ at the Queen Club with none other than the legendary DJ David Guetta as his boss. Nice also traveled to Moscow, attending one of the first ever raves there as well. “I subsequently went back there 4 more times and even played a live set on a national radio station there that had an average listening audience of 10 million people,” said Nice.

What makes Nick unique as a performer? He loves the connection with the audience just as much as they love his sweet tunes. “The instant interaction with the crowd is the best. Being able to control the vibe of the room and communicate with people through music is something that I truly enjoy,” said Nice.

Nice is also talented at combining the old with the new. Madison isn’t exactly LA or Paris, so introducing people to new, unique tracks can be somewhat of a challenge. “Of course sometimes you have to bring the cheese to get a crowd moving, especially in Madison!” said Nice. “But the trick is to use something people might be familiar with and bridge them into something new that they don’t know but will keep the dance floor or bar rocking.”

Nice keeps it in the family, citing his older sister and a few of her boyfriends as most of his inspiration. “Before the internet finding music was much more challenging. And if you’re a guy who was trying to make it with my sister, what better way than to bring her little brother some vinyl,” said Nice. He also got his varied taste from his parents, who introduced him to classical and jazz music. Also, being in Paris in the 90s was a huge influence- he was introduced to not only Guetta but DJs Yann, Pierre, and Hell.

All in all, Nice’s tunes are guaranteed to get your head bopping and your body moving. He has a regular show every Sunday at Maduro, and more can be found at his myspace or his podcast at pod-a-licious.