E&A to forfeit battle, maintain ‘abilities’

Their summer release, By The Throat, may have been a surprise for long time fans. Taking a step back from the hostile battle rap that earned Eyedea his respect as an emcee, his modified style and choruses may have wider audience appeal.

Eyedea wasn’t the only half to switch the style. Even DJ Abilities moved towards structure. True, he spins some catchy hooks and intricate grimy sci-fi beats we have all come to love, but like Eyedea’s flow, Abilities builds a structure-heavy platform only vaguely resembling his lightning fast scratching in the past.

But it is important to remember, while they are a different E&A, they are still the same guys. Progress is inevitable, and they retain the same intensity and intriguing verse as always. If anything, they are more listenable on a regular basis.

Saturday’s show should incorporate a bit of all things worth seeing of these Minneapolis hip-hoppers, while pulling in some bank for the Rhymesayers label. The live setting makes room for the raw battle styling that veteran fans miss. Their new material is just catchy enough to hook in some newcomers.

Stop by the High Noon at 10 this Sat. to catch openers Dosh, The Crest and DJ Skooly. Bring $14 for a ticket, or buy one for $12 in advance. Go to the High Noon’s website to find a local ticket retailer or to buy online.