Great Lake Swimmers make beautiful waves

A Canadian folk/rock band, Great Lake Swimmers sound remarkably similar to a folkier Sufjan Stevens, and have often been compared to the Red House Painters. GLS’s lead singer Tony Dekker has said that his influences include Hank Williams and Gram Parsons, among others. The group itself is made of Tony Dekker on lead vocals/acoustic guitar/harmonica, Erik Arneson on banjo/electric guitar/harmonium, Bret Higgins on upright bass, and Julie Fader on keyboard/vocals.

The crowd was visibly excited for the band to start, and when it finally began, GLS did not disappoint. The song “Pulling On A Line” showcased Dekker’s knack for catchy melodies and a great hook. With intriguing, albeit a bit repetitive, lyrics and a tune that kept our toes tapping, this song was a crowd favorite. Another enjoyable song, entitled “Your Rocky Spine,” displayed a different side of the Swimmers’ sound. Singing, “I traced my finger/ Along your trails/ Your body was the map/ I was lost in it,” Dekker exuded a passion that clearly ran through all his songs, but “Your Rocky Spine” seemed to finally bring it to light.

In “We Are Part of a Large Family,” Dekker reached both a wider audience with a song about unity and love – while the melody was less innovative than usual, the deeper message lay in the lyrics. “I said my piece/ I said peace…I am part of a large family,” eventually finishing with “And that’s enough for me.” This message of love could potentially come off as a weak attempt at drawing the hippie crowd to his band, but Dekker’s earnestness is welcomed with open arms (and ears).

Instead of empty melodic promises, Great Lake Swimmers seemed to truly embody the ideals about which they sang. A general feeling of lightness hung around them, and there were blissful, smiling faces everywhere I looked. On Friday, October 22, the Rathskeller embodied that “large family” of peace – thanks to GLS’s message of love, the crowd left happy as clams swimming in the Great Lake.